Friday, January 9, 2009

Would You Like to Interpret My Test Results?

I've now spoken with three different professionals at the OB practice handling (mishandling?) my pregnancy and I've gotten three different answers about what the results of my 3 hour glucose test mean for baby and me.  First, there was Nurse Tammy who told me that "one number was slightly elevated" but everything else was fine so, according to her, I "definitely" didn't have Gestational Diabetes.  The following week, I had a routine check-up with Dr. McC who stunned me by saying that I totally failed the fasting number in the test and was thisclose to failing one of the other numbers so we need to treat me like I have full-blown GD.  Total devastation followed by 2+ weeks of salads and nuts to try to control the problem.  When I went in for a check-up this morning with one of Dr. McC's colleagues and spoke with her about my concerns -- why wasn't I sent to a nutritionist?  is it okay that I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks?  when can I do the 24  hour urine test since GD raises my already higher-than-average chance of pre-eclampsia? -- she perused my folder and announced that I had barely failed the fasting portion of the test and that all the other numbers were a-okay so she doesn't see a reason for concern.  What.  The.  FUCK???

She asked me how I'm feeling.  When I said confused by the different messages and starving, she laughed and said it's because I'm eating too little which puts me and Baby at risk for being hypoglycemic.  THEN TELL ME WHAT TO EAT, YOU STUPID BITCH!!! is what I wanted to say but instead, I told her that I hadn't found any definitive guidelines regarding the GD diet Dr. McC wants me to follow so perhaps she could refer me to a nutritionist.  Nope, not necessary.  She kept going back to the fact that I barely failed the 1 hour test way back in August because apparently 135 was considered a passing number in her former practice.  Great, thanks for sharing that useless bit of information but we're talking about the results of my 3-hour test from last month which I may or may not have failed, depending on who you ask, NOT what happened in August.   Meanwhile, she had been going on and on about how failing the fasting number is the worst one to fail but still held fast that my test results weren't a big concern and that I should just "avoid cake."  WHAT???  Cake???  Who eats cake regularly?  I think I was just a victim of weight-profiling!  At this point, I'm sure that my blood pressure has gone from 122/79 to much, much higher so I ask about the 24 hour urine test that I really, really want to have.

She laughs, says it's totally unnecessary.  Tom interjects that we want it anyway if for nothing else than peace of mind.  I point out the GD-PE connection and she says I have neither so no worries.  After all, my blood pressure is fine and my urine dips in the office have been protein-free.  I would be comforted by that if it wasn't the same exact scenario as right before Jack was born.  My pressure didn't skyrocket until a few days before I delivered and my office urine tests were ALWAYS clean.  When I told her this, she said it doesn't matter regardless b/c there is nothing they could do if I have pre-eclampsia anyway.  Really?  NOTHING???  How about admitting me and hooking me up to magnesium sulfate so I don't have a seizure?  How about delivering the baby earlier so she doesn't die with me when I  stroke out and die?  Is Delaware so behind the times that they haven't heard of this course of treatment?  At this point, I thought I might actually have a stroke right there, PE or no PE.  The test can't cost that much.  I mean, it's not like I'm asking for an MRI or a biopsy for God's sake.  Just give me a milk jug, let me pee in it for a day and then test it for protein.  Take that monkey off my back because I'm swelling and getting headaches and it's scaring the shit out of me.  The doctor said she'd confer with Dr. McC and see what she has to say.  Nurse Tammy just called to say that Dr. McC is "in total agreement with not doing the 24 hour collection b/c my BP and urine dips have been just fine."  It was all I could do not to slam the phone down.

So here I sit, starving and despairing.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be sick.  I want to have a healthy, uneventful pregnancy like other people do.  That must be so nice.  With all of the mix messages and my past history, it's very hard to believe that I'm having one this time.  How can I put my trust in these people who can't even agree on the results of a quantitative study?  It boggles my mind.  The test results are NUMBERS; how can a number be open to interpretation and debate?  At this point, I don't have enough faith in Dr. McC to let her clip my cat's nails but in a little less than 2 months, she is going to be slicing me open to deliver my baby and tie my tubes.  Christ, I'm scared shitless and there is nothing I can do about it.

I had another fasting blood draw this morning followed by another test an hour after eating a small meal to see how my blood sugar reacted to that.  Any bets on how many different diagnoses I'll get when those lab results come back?

2 comments:

Maria said...

Damn. Do these doctors dabble in politics? I've never heard of so many different answers to one question. Are you still following a GD-esque diet?

Christy said...

Yes, Maria, I'm still avoiding sugar and most carbs. Better safe than sorry.