As we wandered around the displays tonight, the director and several of Jack's former teachers asked me excitedly, "Did you see Jack's painting yet???" I hadn't and was surprised by their enthusiasm. Jack can build anything you can imagine but he's not a fan of coloring or painting so I wasn't exactly expecting a masterpiece. When we got to the back of the room where the Readiness class had their display, I saw his painting in a place of honor and knew immediately why everyone was looking forward to my reaction.
Apparently the kids were tasked with choosing a subject and painting it however they wanted. There were boats, trains, castles, Hanna Montana but only one "real" person -- me. There in the center on its own for everyone to see was a painting of me wearing jeans and my red shirt with a C for Christy right in the middle of it.
His teachers said that he knew exactly what he wanted to do and that he worked very hard on the project to make it match his vision, right down to the monogrammed shirt (which I don't have but will get if he wants!) I know how determined he gets when he has an idea in his head so I can picture him toiling away at the art station, intent on making everything perfect to meet his exacting standards.
What did I do? I welled up with tears and hugged my sweet boy with all my might. He was glowing with pride, knowing that not only did he do a good job on the painting but also that he made me so very happy. Does anything feel better than giving someone a delightful surprise? I'd say no and my son discovered that special joy tonight.
The projects come home on Monday. Mine will be going right to Michael's for a custom frame job.
3 comments:
Christy, that is beautiful! I have a few like that, and I know exactly the feeling you're talking about. What a sweet little man you have!
That made me tear me up and he's not even my child! What a wonderful honor to his amazing mother.
Thanks, guys! I always know that my babies love me but sometimes it absolutely humbles me that I am so important to them.
Post a Comment