Thursday, January 29, 2009

Much Too Young to Act So Damn Old

To paraphrase Garth Brooks, that is true of Jack these days.  Lately, he and I have been talking a lot about when he grows up.  I think this topic is on his mind because of kindergarten aka "big kid school."  We discussed why having a job isn't an awful thing, how it helps one to be independent.  He said he wouldn't need money since he will always live with me and I'll buy things for him.  I reminded him that I had a job when I lived with Grammy so that I could be independent and have fun.  He said that he would need to be independent so that he and Claire (his latest love) could have fun.

Yesterday, as I folded Tom's favorite, hole-covered basketball shirt, Jack asked how old it was.  I said probably 15 years old.  He wanted to know whether he would still have his favorite shirt in 15 years.  I said perhaps but that it definitely wouldn't fit him when he is 20 and almost as big as Daddy.  He said he wouldn't need it because that is when he'll be married to Claire and she will buy his clothes.  College would be a better option at 20, I explained, but that didn't mean he wouldn't be with Claire while he finished school.  Nope, he emphatically wants to be married to her then because, "I love her so much, Mom.  More than you and Daddy love each other.  I love her twice as much as I love you because she is so beautiful!"

Say what???

I'm not ready to be replaced after 5 short years of being his everything, lol.  I'm also not happy that he is basing his love on beauty.  So much to learn, my son, or you are heading for some heartbreak yourself.  Beauty is only skin deep and never tell one woman you love her only half as much as another when you still need the first one to cook your meals, wash your clothes and kiss your boo-boos.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Aww Jack, don't break your mom's heart like that.

Isn't it amazing that even when we know they don't mean or understand what they're saying, it can still hurt to the core?

Christy said...

It absolutely amazes me that he has this concept of romantic love already. Maybe he's paying more attention to the Disney princess movies than I realized. We need to switch back to Scooby-Doo!