Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Awesome and Amazing Friend

My college roommate Megan and her kids came to visit today.  All 3 of the non-working Tobins get very excited when we have a playdate scheduled with these friends.  Her son is a year younger than Jack; her daughter is a year younger than Nat.  The kids get along so well and entertain each other while Megan and I relax and catch up.  It's always a good time and we look forward to our visits.

It's hard to believe that Megan and I have known each other for almost 17 years.  Although we didn't meet until college, we basically grew up together in that we went from nervous kids on their own for the first time to career girls to mothers.  She cleaned me up when I threw up EVERYWHERE on my 21st birthday and didn't get mad at me for ruining the surprise party she had for me.  We were in each other's weddings. I love her kids and she loves mine.  We shared countless good times (and more beers than I'd care to remember) and she has stood by me through my darkest hours.  When my brother died, she was the first person I called.  When my father got sick, she came to the hospital that night to bring me food and make sure I was okay.  She is the kind of friend that I know I can count on no matter what -- steadfast and loyal and my constant.

Anyway, I was especially excited about today's visit because we've been bored and housebound with the bitterly cold weather so we were all ready for company.  Little did I know that Megan had a glorious surprise in store for me.  She came in with the kids and said she had to grab some stuff out of her car.  She came back with not one but TWO trays of food for us along with salad fixins, dressing, bread and dessert.  Huge, glorious trays of food that only need to be reheated and voila!  a homecooked meal that I don't have to cook!  I was stunned and ready to kiss her feet, thinking I was to freeze them for when I come home from the hospital but no, Meg said they are for now because she thinks that "everyone will be around to help afterwards but just as much help is needed to get through right now."  Holy cow, how insightful and generous is that?  I cried.  Seriously, I did.  To have a friend who understands how I'm feeling and makes it better -- there are no words to describe how good that feels and how lucky I am.  When "they" say that friends are the family we pick for ourselves, Megan is who comes to mind.  Today is just one more example of why that is so.


1 comment:

Sharon said...

She is definitely a keeper. Sweet pics.!