Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Life on Hold

I'm averaging about 4 non-consecutive hours of sleep each night for reasons ranging from merely uncomfortable to downright painful.  Feeling this sleep-deprived is like being drunk and having a hangover simultaneously.  I drive no further than preschool and back because I'm afraid that I'm dangerous to others.  Forming a complete sentence, let alone an intelligent one, is becoming more of a challenge with each passing day.  Laundry is unwashed, errands remain undone.  Thank God preschool takes the kids outside to play on all but the coldest of days, otherwise my sweeties would never breathe fresh air.  Bless their hearts, they have taken my transformation from on-the-go fun planner to semi-comatose slug in stride, fetching stuff when I need it and keeping themselves amused while I lay and watch them play.

I'm barely allowed to eat, I can't get any rest and there are still 6+ weeks to go.  I'm not being dramatic when I say that I'm not sure how I'm going to make it.  Complaining about my good fortune makes me feel guilty but I'm doing it anyway.  That's how low I've sunk.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What would you do to me if I said you were close? Just kidding. I am sorry. My OB gave me some ambien the last few weeks when I was pg with Gehrig. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Christy said...

Nothing, Melissa. I don't have the energy for violence. I'd probably just cry and cry although even that would require more stamina than I have right now.

My OB won't even tell me what to eat or what the #s were on my last glucose test. I doubt she'd come through with any Ambien. I took 1 Tylenol PM in desperation on Monday night but it didn't help. I can handle the aches and pains, it's the exhaustion that is breaking my spirit.

Jenny B said...

Ahhh, insomnia. One of the worst parts of pregnancy. I can handle the growing belly, the upset tummy, but not getting sleep is tough. As you probably know, it won't get any better through the rest of the pregnancy. Maybe some warm slippers and good books will at least help relax you.