Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Food Fixation

Between my recent dietary restrictions and Tom's new year's resolution, I feel like all I think about is food these days.  I've settled into my sugar-free, carb-light lifestyle with only the occasional craving strong enough to make me willing to strangle a puppy for a bite of chocolate.  While that is going well, it requires a good bit of forethought.  I can't just grab a handful of Cheez-its or pop in a slice of frozen pizza when I find a few quiet minutes to eat something.  All the planning and preparing is annoying -- I used to save that effort for Tom and the kids and make fast, easy stuff for myself (which might be to blame for my current issues) but now I'm thinking ahead as well as chopping, slicing and sauteeing for myself as well as my buddies.  I've always said I wished I had a maid and a personal trainer.  Now I'd trade both for a chef!

Tom has resolved to stop spending so much money on food in 2009.  When we sat down and estimated what he spends daily on breakfast and lunch then multiplied it out over a year, we were shocked.  A bottle of water here, a turkey sandwich there really adds up.  His new year's resolution is to bring breakfast to work everyday (he never gets up early enough to eat at home) and bring lunch as well on days where he doesn't have a meeting with lunch provided.  While I heartily applaud any cost-saving efforts as we approach the diaper-buying days, it falls on me to make sure that his resolution sticks.  Basically, he is the brains behind the decision and I'm the muscle that makes it happen.  This morning, it took me 25 minutes to gather his breakfast foods, make his buffalo chicken and swiss on rye and side salad and pull together some snacks for in between meals.  That is time I normally would have spent showering, emptying the dishwasher and making the kids' beds so I think I'm going to have to come up with a better routine.  Maybe pack up everything except the sandwich the previous evening and make the sandwich fresh in the morning to prevent sogginess?  I guess it will be a trial-and-error process.  Lucky for me, he is not fussy.  Lucky for him, I enjoy being the happy little homemaker, sending him off with a kiss and a packed lunch.

1 comment:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

I hear ya screamin', sister! When you figure out the routine, let me know...I'll be facing the same challenges now. And forever. You can make the sandwiches the night before, though, and they won't get too soggy. Does Tom have fridge and/or freezer access at work? You could consider sending him in on Monday with a week's worth of heat-ups -- frozen lunches and breakfasts, or leftovers from the weekend -- or at least a jar of mayo that he can slap on the sandwich right before eating. A lot of people at my office pack the freezers with Lean Cuisines and yogurts with their initials on them.

Good luck. Kudos on the monthly savings, though! That's impressive.