Thursday, April 30, 2009

BRUUUUUUUCE

Bruce Springsteen was in town for 2 shows this week, his final performances at the soon-t0-be-torn-down Philadelphia Spectrum where I saw my favorite Springsteen concert ever back in 1999.  When I bought the tickets months ago, I was so excited.  Excited to see my favorite performer once again, excited because it meant a night out with my sweetheart and, most importantly, excited because I knew that my little dollbaby would be born when Bruce rolled into town.

He didn't disappoint me.  He never does.  The man and his band play with such heart, such fury, such emotion that I find it hard to believe anyone could go to his show and not leave a fan.  It may sound crazy but I think there is something slightly wrong with people who don't like Bruce.  Mind-boggling.

From "Rosalita" spurring us on to greater heights of drunken hilarity at my favorite college bar to "Badlands" reminding me that there was nothing wrong with wanting to be happy and healthy when doing so felt like an offense against those I loved most in the world ("it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive") to the thunderous opening of "Born to Run" rocking the house at our wedding reception when Tom and I were announced as Mr. and Mrs. Tobin for the very first time, Bruce's music has been the soundtrack of my adult life.  Spending time with Bruce the last two nights, the memories both good and bad flooded back.  I smiled to remember my dear friends whom I so rarely see now that we aren't living on campus together and I teared up recalling the long nights when I would get in the car and drive to nowhere, filled to choking with sorrow and racing away from the pain on my mother's face.  My memories and Bruce's voice were all I had to keep me sane in the darkest days and it felt like he wrote his songs just for me.  

A Springsteen concert is like church to me.  We're all there to worship and and we leave comforted.  The energy in the room is positive and everyone feels united and at peace while we are there, something rare in today's world.  It was, as always, an amazing experience.

Bruce played one of my favorites, "Land of Hope and Dreams."  I first heard it in 1999 but never really listened to the words until shortly before my wedding.  It basically summed up the journey Tom and I were going to begin as a married couple and reminded me that I needed to stop looking back if I wanted to go forward with any success.  I get a little glow inside whenever I hear it, remembering how excited I was and rejoicing that our life together is even better than I hoped it would be.  It's a song I need to listen to more often as a reminder of who I was and who I want to be.

Land Of Hope And Dreams
Grab your ticket and your suitcase
Thunder's rolling down the tracks
You don't know where you're goin'
But you know you won't be back
Darlin' if you're weary
Lay your head upon my chest
We'll take what we can carry
And we'll leave the rest

Big Wheels rolling through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams

I will provide for you
And I'll stand by your side
You'll need a good companion for
This part of the ride
Leave behind your sorrows
Let this day be the last
Tomorrow there'll be sunshine
And all this darkness past

Big wheels roll through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams

This train
Carries saints and sinners
This train
Carries losers and winners
This Train
Carries whores and gamblers
This Train
Carries lost souls
This Train
Dreams will not be thwarted
This Train
Faith will be rewarded
This Train
Hear the steel wheels singin'
This Train
Bells of freedom ringin'
This Train
Carries broken-hearted
This Train
Thieves and sweet souls departed
This Train
Carries fools and kings
This Train
All aboard

This Train
Dreams will not be thwarted
This Train
Faith will be rewarded
This Train
Hear the steel wheels singin'
This Train
Bells of freedom ringin'

1 comment:

Bethann said...

Sounds like a wonderful time !