Thursday, April 2, 2009

Academically Gifted?

We received a letter from our school district today, informing us that, based on testing done by district specialists who came to the preschool last month, Jack may be eligible to attend the district's "Academically Gifted Education Program" next fall instead of regular kindergarten.  To determine "whether the program would be appropriate" for Jack, he'll need to go through "an individually administered measure of cognitive ability."  I have to say, this stopped me in my tracks.

Most parents would probably be overjoyed to receive this letter.  I'm really not.  I know he is smart and I know he is gifted, no question about that.  Jack is smart enough to thrive in any learning environment.  I'm just not sure that a "gifted" program is the way to go and for kindergarten, no less.

I went to Catholic school where there was no funding for anything, let alone a gifted program so kids were sent to the local public school a few times a week for their special program.  I'm not sure what the criteria for admission was but I was not invited to attend even though I had the highest average in my class every year, first through eighth grade.  No loss as I graduated 18th in my class in high school and went on to a decent college and a high-paying career before living my SAHM dream.  The kids who were part of that program?  Weirdos who fell through the cracks.  They weren't in my high school AP or honors classes so what did the program do for them?

I don't want Jack to be weird.  I don't want him to be "different" so that is my first reservation regarding the program.  Secondly, the program is held at one location in the district and it's not at the feeder school for our neighborhood.  Granted, I'm already unhappy with that school from the registration hassle I encountered but I think it is important that he go to school with his friends in the neighborhood.  Tom agrees because like me, he is a smart person who did well following the traditional path in his educational journey.

Bottom line, we're going to send Jack for the additional testing.  It's free so we have nothing to lose.  Maybe he won't be eligible and my concerns will be moot.  Maybe he will and I'll have to investigate further to see whether this program would be a help or a hindrance to our boy.  We're in "wait and see" mode until his evaluation is scheduled.

No comments: