Friday, April 3, 2009

I Used to Be a Great Mother

I really was.  I took great pride and pleasure in doing a good job for and with my children.  I'd plan fun adventures, always be prepared for scheduled school events and the things that are important to the kids, big and small, never slipped my mind.  I was exactly the kind of mother I'd always hoped to be.

Tommy Boy got up with Queen B last night AND the night before which means she must have been screaming her lungs out long and hard for him to hear her.  How did I sleep through that?  When Jack was an infant, I swear I could hear it over the monitor if he lost an eyelash let alone when he woke up and cried to eat.  This morning, I woke up in a blind panic, remembering that the tooth fairy had to visit Jack AND I had to fill eggs for the school's Easter egg hunt.  The tooth fairy mishap is on Tom's head as he was the one involved with the tooth from start to traumatic finish last night but still, we all know that it's my job as wife to remind him and then to do it myself anyway when he still forgets.  Thank goodness Jack didn't wake up early today.

I really need to get back on my game.  I've gone from All Star caliber to bush league and my family deserves better.  Time to head to BJ's for an industrial-sized case of No Doz to keep me going until Tiny Tobin starts sleeping regularly.

3 comments:

Erin said...

LOL, I used to be like that, too. Now I'm the mom who shows up to school and doesn't know a party was scheduled. Tooth Fairy?? My children have taken to writing notes to remind her to show up and do her duty.! I even forgot Jill's picture day this year! Oh well, I'm trying to learn to cut myself some slack.

Jamie said...

We've all been there. You can read the blog I *just* posted about our night/day and you'll realize you aren't alone.

I do hope Queen B starts sleeping better for you soon. And I have to admit, while I heard every breath the girls took when they were this age, I have not heard Jack at least 2x and Nacho's gotten up with him (which says a lot because Nacho sleeps through EVERYTHING).

Love the new pic, btw.

Bethann said...

You know what Christy, I was just giving myself 50 lashes for being a terrible mother. I only have 1/2 of Alexa's b-day gift, and no card because I couldn't find a nice one. I am so emotional lately and I think its due to my dis-organization.. too much all at once with no time to sort thru. I'm going to have a breakdown soon I think.. And everyone tells me it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. well you know what ... to me it does.