Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tardy Tooth Fairy

*gentle but persistent shaking of my shoulder* "Mom, the Tooth Fairy didn't come! Do you think it's because I didn't put my tooth under the pillow?"

Oh. SHIT.

I knew I was going to forget this time. Somehow I just knew.

I hate being right. Actually, I love it. I live for it. There is always an exception to the rule though.

Today is the exception.

*not so gentle shoving of snoring Daddy* "Hey, Tom, the Tooth Fairy didn't put any money under Jack's pillow! Do you think she thought he was trying to trick her by putting the tooth on his bookshelf rather than under his pillow so she tried to trick him back by hiding the money somewhere else?"

"grazrmiflbug" *snoring resumes*

"Honey, I SAID that the tooth fairy probably put Jack's money SOMEWHERE ELSE! Don't you think you SHOULD GET UP AND CHECK WHILE HE STAYS HERE WITH ME?!?!?"

*long-suffering sigh* "Yeah, I should definitely check."

"Daddy, I'll help you look!"

"No, sweetie, you stay here with me. Mommy needs a snuggle. Now tell me about your dreams."

"WELL, I was playing Mario Galaxy and I was in the Flipswitch Galaxy..."

"Hey, buddy, you were right! The Tooth Fairy DID try to trick you! Come see! How did you miss this?"

"Mom, she tried to trick me for real! Let me GO, I gotta see this!" *excited limping off to his room*

I forgot. I can't believe I forgot. It's not even like I'm onto the teeth of my third kid yet. This is only tooth number 5 in our house and I forgot.

By the time we get to Bon's loose teeth, I'll probably just yank them out and toss them in the trash right in front of her.

I suck.

Thank God for the innocence of children and their desire to see things as the way they want them to be. Even when their moms totally suck.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I forgot too. I think it was tooth number 6. I was soooo tired that night and really tried to stay awake until he was asleep long enough.

Our tooth fairy was sooooo busy, and made sure to leave him a note all about it the next night.

I felt like a loser.

Christy said...

It's terrible to say but I'm glad I'm not the only one! Misery loves company.