Monday, August 31, 2009

Disoriented

Jack had his kindergarten orientation this morning. It was...fine. I guess. His teacher started off talking about how her air conditioner caught fire last week (I didn't even have to look at Jack to know his eyes would be filled with terror and that her saying "there weren't really big flames" wasn't going to help much) and how it would be hot in there for a while. I didn't think it was that warm and kids don't usually notice temperature so why plant that seed? Oy.

(We forgot to tuck him in and he was beltless. Off to a great start, rebels that we are.)
Then she went on to talk about how lunch is at 11:00 (ugh) which would put them on the playground with the first graders (7 classes on 1 playground???) and that would be dangerous (no kidding!) so the kindergarten teachers are trying to get the principal to move lunch back to 10: 45 (double ugh!) That's not lunch, that's early brunch! Good Lord. If only she had left it there, it would have been fine but she had to talk about how long the afternoon will be, how hungry they will be, how there is no snacktime.

What. Are. You. DOING???

Seriously, Jack can put A and B together, you don't have to give him C. Why on earth would you list out reasons for children to complain, to go into a new situation with negative preconceived notions? Rookie mistake and yet she's been teaching for 14 years. I'm like the most negative person on the planet and yet I always -- ALWAYS -- slap on my smile and give Jack every reason to love a new situation. Let him discover any potential negatives on his own; nobody needs help with that.

It's never ceases to amaze me when people who work with children do such stupid things in front of children.

Did I mention her talking about how they went to a pumpkin patch last year and were "chased off" by all of the bees? Then she said they will probably go back this year? I could practically see her words spinning cobwebs of terror in Jack's brain.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Maybe she'll tell them there is no Santa Claus or regale them with a story at "rest time" about how zombies prefer the flesh of little children as it's the sweetest. Good times.

Here they are raptly listening to a story about a kid feeling nervous the night before kindergarten because it's so scary. Jack woke up excited to get on the bus this morning; this story better not have changed that!
It's going to be a long year. In so many ways. Serenity now!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow! Way to get the kids excited about something new...NOT! That is an early lunch time, even at 11. Sam's in full day also, but they eat lunch at 12:15 (snack time is about 10, I think) and they play and the rest of the afternoon is playtime in the classroom.

I hope he's still excited tomorrow.

BTW, I love the pics of your kids on your side bar!

Karen the Californian said...

Wow. Especially after Jack's wonderful experiences at preschool, to be faced with THIS. So disappointing! I hope this doesn't indicate how the rest of the school year will go...