Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sneak a Peek

Jack is at "Sneak a Peek" night right now, seeing his kindergarten classroom for the first time. It's a big deal. A huge deal.

*snip*

Wait, did you hear that? Hmmm....

Anyway, he's at school. I'm at the kitchen table with my laptop.

*snip*

There it was again! Weird. So, as I was saying, he's at school. I'm not.

*snip!* *snip!* *SNIIIIIIP!!!*

Oooooh, right. Now I know what it was. That was the sound of me cutting the apron strings. No big deal to him. He's with Daddy, checking out his new digs. I'm here with the girls who don't belong at his special night and I'm missing him already even thought school doesn't start for reals until next week. Still. This is the beginning of something big and the end of an era. The "Mom Rules" era. The "Best Buddies Forever (or at least until kindergarten starts)" era.

I remember when Jack was born, looking at him and trying to imagine sending him off to school some day far, far in the future. The thought was terrifying. Now, the moment is almost here and I'm excited for him. The tears are selfishly for myself but I'm smiling through them, knowing that he is at the start of big, wonderful things. The sky is the limit and if the past is any indication of the future, Jack Attack will make his own path and excel on it.

He went without me. I feel so brave. So mature. So un-helicopter-momish. So crafty because Tom going tonight means that I get to go to Orientation with our boy on Monday. Mwahahaha. (Hey, this was a big step but Rome wasn't built in a day! NO WAY I'm missing all the action.)


No comments: