Friday, February 20, 2009

Going Out with a Bang, Hopefully Not with a Stroke

In this week's edition of "Christy Is a Gestational Failure", we find our heroine reeling from the news that she didn't manage to escape the clutches of the pre-eclampsia demons after all.  As a result, Sheemee will be delivered on Monday morning rather than next Friday afternoon.  The moral of the story?  Be careful what you wish for.

I've been chomping at the bit to have the baby a few days early.  No secret there.  Not like this, though.  Not with the threat of strokes and seizures hanging over my head for the next few days.  I'm getting ahead of myself as usual.  Let's back up.  I had my weekly appointment this morning.  Was shocked to find that I had gained 4 lbs. since last Friday and my blood pressure went from 101/70 to 138/89.  When Dr. McC came in, she said that there was protein in my urine and she thought I should do a 24 hour urine test.  Then she thought more and decided instead that with my current conditions and past history, I should have the baby as soon as the office could get me scheduled.  I gotta say, even though I've been expecting this, I was stunned.  I've been feeling "off" but I figured that was just the sleeplessness taking me to another level of exhaustion coupled with my tendency towards hypochondria. The surgical scheduler got on the horn to get me the earliest OR slot, the lab tech took blood and more urine for a PIH panel (not sure why since the results won't be back until after Baby is born but whatever) and that was that.  See you on Monday morning, Mrs. Tobin.  Nothing to eat or drink after midnight Sunday.

It's going to be a long weekend.  I guess my levels aren't critical or they would have admitted me for observation.  With the low level of confidence the office has inspired in me, I can't say I feel too reassured that they sent me home rather than keeping me.  I'm going to take it easy and relax with my loveys this weekend.  And yes, Tom and I are still going out on our date Saturday night.  There is nothing stressful or taxing about a good meal so I don't see any reason to cancel our reservations.  What will be, will be.  All I can do is hope that everything will turn out fine.  Unfortunately, positivity has never been my strong suit.

1 comment:

Bethann said...

Oh sweetie! Try to think positive and also enjoy the time you have with only 2 children . LOL.. Enjoy your lovely dinner out with Tom and good Luck on Monday !!! I will have you in my thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly for you and Baby Bonnie. :)