Sunday, February 15, 2009

Further Food Phobias

I had my weekly Sheemee check-up yesterday with one of my OB's partners.  Gained a lb, no mention of protein or sugar in my urine and my blood pressure was great, lower than last week's by more than 20 in the top number and even lower than my pre-pregnancy BP.   It was actually so low that I don't think she did it right.  Is the cuff supposed to fold into the bend of your elbow?  No idea.  At any rate, no red flags for my health and Sheemee's heartbeat is going strong in the 150's as it has been all along.

Dr. M decided against checking my cervix but cautioned me about labor, saying I should definitely NOT eat if I think I'm going into labor because if I do, they would put off the c-section for 8 hours.  Ummm, what?  Is the risk of a low-fat string cheese stick in my tummy greater than the risk of rupturing my "paper-thin" uterus?  Oy vey.  So now I have to stop and think about not only the sugar/fat/protein ratio of what I'm about to eat but also what is going on Down Below before putting anything into my mouth.  The thing is, something is ALWAYS going on down there!  Aches, pains, stretching, pulling, cramping...it's par for the course this late in the game.  Will I recognize labor before eating the celery that could seal my doom?  I surely hope so.

An added worry in the whole "put off the surgery for 8 hours" scenario is that in my body's quest to give me a taste of every weird pregnancy-related issue before I close the book on our reproductive life, I tested positive for Group B Strep (GBS) this time around.  Amazing Nurse Friend (ANF) said this isn't a big deal since I'm having a section as long as my water isn't broken for hours on end before they get the baby out so that was somewhat comforting.  I'm just not sure I'd recognize that it broke!  I've heard it's more of a trickle than the gushing flood portrayed in television sitcoms.  To put it as delicately as possible, it's the rainy season in Ladyland with The Sheemster's head pounding a techno beat on my bladder these days so how would I know the difference between the, um, normal weather conditions versus an amniotic rain shower?  I guess I'll just have to trust that I will.  I actually wasn't concerned about the GBS at all because I have several friends who had it and delivered vaginally with no problems but then I looked it up on WebMD before talking to ANF and holy crap, GBS can cause some serious damage to Baby which raises the stakes on the whole "eating with labor about to begin" conundrum.  I can't pull a Gandhi for the next 2 weeks so I'll have to hope for the best with my food intake.  Sweet hosanna, the 27th cannot get here quickly enough for my liking.  This pregnancy has been one big mindfuck from start to finish and I'm REALLY looking forward to the moment I can see for myself that The Girl 2.0 is as healthy and safe as they say she is.  

No comments: