Thursday, October 30, 2008

And here it comes...

I made the mistake of clicking on an article about the Phillies' win on AOL's opening page.  This is how the article ended:

Even so, the gap between the Phils and Rays wasn't enormous. Had Evan Longoria's late, long drive off Jamie Moyer in Game 3 not been blown back by the wind, the teams might still be playing.

Really?  Are you KIDDING me?  We won fair and square and that's how they end an article about OUR championship, the one we won handily.  It's not like we went to the final game, not even the next-to-last possible game, in the last two series.  Basically, we won with time to spare but we get no respect for that.  Then again, Philadelphia gets no respect for anything from the rest of the nation so why would I expect this to be different?  Oh yeah, we're not a "glamorous team", as the article states, so maybe that's why our championship is acknowledged with a yawn and an eyeroll.  I don't know what douchebag nancy boy wrote that but maybe he should start analyzing fall fashions for Vogue rather than covering sports.  Personally, and I think most people would agree, I don't watch baseball for glamour.  I'm not impressed with seeing athletes in gossip columns and I snicker when they make the jump to movies or TV.  If I want pretty boys with manscaped eyebrows, I'll watch "Gossip Girl."  For grits, guts and glory, on the other hand, it's Philly's teams all the way.  So suck it, national media!  Keep drinking that bitterberry haterade.  Your disdain only makes us harder and stronger.


3 comments:

Bethann said...

Amen! Being at home and having to listen to the FOX announcers talk nonstop about TB during the whole (Beautiful) game gave me sour grapes.. I wanted to find a number and blast their asses. Hey guys. .give credit where credit is due.. we whoooped their asses in 5 ..so kiss it!

Jillian DiMuzio said...

The FOX announcers, including an alumnus Philadelphia Phillie, Tim McCarver (who actually, sadly to say, happened to be a guest at my wedding), should go shit in a cap and pull it over their eyes. Agreed...the Phillies won on their own accord...with no help from anyone, including Mother Nature. They are just as deserving and worthy as any other "marquee" team out there. It's their turn to shine and no one should take that away from them. I actually hate when writers/sportscasters qualify the Phillies' win by prefacing it first with "the team of 10,000 losses" or "the 100 season drought." I mean I guess it is fair to say those things but only if the context is to communicate the fairy tale victory of the team and not merely used to point out past failures.

As far as the writer for Yahoo...his assessment of it being a "close" game is so far from the truth, he might as well have watched the game from Jupiter. His writing suggests that that's the closest seat he may have had to make such absurd conclusions.

Sharon said...

"Bitterberry Haterade"--love that! More power to your Phillies, Christy!