Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Things That Make Me Happy This Week

I've been in a stressed-out, craptastic mood since last week so I'm going to do my best to climb out of the funk and concentrate on things, big and little, that make me smile...
  • Domestic fresh mozzarella -- there is a deli in S. Philly that makes it themselves and it is like a little taste of heaven.  I've been dying for fresh mozz my whole pregnancy but have been afraid to get it b/c I'm never sure if it's imported and not willing to take the risk that it was made with unpasteurized milk.  I picked up a braid of it today and it is so tastylicious.
  • My kids' manners -- Tom got a gift certificate to Sullivan's Steakhouse for his birthday.  Since finding a babysitter is impossible for us these days, we decided to take the kids with us so we could use the GC.  Sullivan's isn't exactly Le Bec-Fin but it's way above The Olive Garden in terms of price and atmosphere.  We're talking dim lights, cloth table covers and hushed conversation.  As always, I caught a few eye rolls as the hostess seated us with the kids but my dynamic duo proved the haters wrong by being quiet and well-behaved through the whole meal.  We have worked hard to instill a sense of respect for others in them and they were models of good behavior at dinner last night as usual.  It makes me proud to know I can take them pretty much anywhere and they will conduct themselves with dignity and self-discipline.
  • Facebook -- I have caught up with so many folks from my grade school and high school days over the last month or so.  It has been hysterical getting to know each other all over again and it has brought back a lot of good memories.
  • Tommy Boy -- I'm the first to admit that I'm not exactly happy-go-lucky much of the time.  He loves me through my panic attacks and quiet moods, always giving me space when I need it and welcoming me back when I'm even-keeled again.  He never nags me about how I spend our money, he acknowledges that we each work equally hard in supporting the needs of our little family and he is always so happy to see me get out and do things with my friends or on my own.  Sometimes I wonder how I got so darn lucky.
  • Caffeine-free Pepsi with ice -- I may not be able to have a margarita but this tastes almost as good.
  • My Gram -- 89 years young and still such a presence in my life.  The kids and I spent the afternoon with her and we had a blast doing not much of anything as usual.  It scares me to think that she won't be there forever so I'm concentrating on enjoying her as much as I can while she is here.
  • Natalie's imagination -- Jack has been coming up with amazing tales, intricately detailed games and sophisticated creations for what seems like forever.  In the past few weeks, I've noticed that Natalie's imagination is really starting to take off as well.  It's very exciting to see her plot and plan and concoct cohesive stories or "missions" as she and Jack call them.  Now if I could just get The Boy to stop saying, "NAAAAAAD!  That's not true!  Mom, she's LYING!"  He's such a realist when it comes to anyone's yarn-spinning except his own.
  • Our security system -- Tommy Boy is away again and having the alarm on gives me a bit of, well, security.  I won't think about homicidal maniacs who have the know-how to disconnect my system from the outside...
  • My belly buddy -- Sheemee is kicking away these days and I love feeling my tiny love moving around in there.  It's just occasional tiny flutters at this point but enough to remind me of all the excitement and wonder ahead of us.  Can't wait for the big u/s on Friday!!!
  • The local HS marching band -- I might not feel this way if it was in my backyard but I love to hear the drums as they practice at night.  It's exhilerating and relaxing at the same time.

1 comment:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

Great idea to focus on the happy thoughts right now...I keep forgetting, myself, that there's a whole lotta happy out there! I'm gonna go make my own list right now.

BTW, I too love hearing the marching band. There's something very comforting and youthful and simple about it. We should take the kids over to see them rehearse one of these evenings!