Oh. My. GOD. They are mocking him? Those little shits are teasing my boy? For a genuine, legitimate fear? I'll kill them. I'll tie them to a chair and make them watch horror movie clips on YouTube until they know what fear feels like. I'll hire the Insane Clown Posse to make them shit their pants. Who do they think they are? Wow, did the mama bear come out in me. Thankfully, I stopped myself before snapping, "Well, tell them that at least your parents didn't give you a sissy girl name!" which was my first instinct. Good to know that while I can instantly regress to adolescent brutality, I am able to harness it. Instead, I told him to walk away and play with his friends when they say mean stuff. "But they are my friends, Mom!" *sigh* The Boy thinks everyone he has ever met is his friend. I imagine that will come to an end now that he's seeing that not all people are kind and understanding. I agreed that they are his friends but pointed out that they are not acting like friends when they make him feel bad so he should move away from them at those times. Tom told him to call them "gizzards" which is a made-up Tobin family insult from the ages. I'm not sure of the exact translation to English. I'm also not sure about encouraging name calling but desperate times and all that...
So, what do I do? Do I talk to Helen the preschool director? The teachers? Let it go and see if it gets better or worse? I don't want to be (and yet there is no denying that I am so I should say I don't want to appear to be) one of those hysterical mothers who jumps in at the first sign of rough waters. If they were calling him poopyhead or pushing him on the playground, I'd shrug it off and tell him to ignore it, that not all families have kindness rules like we do. If it got too physical, I guess I'd tell him to push back but he's bigger than most of his classmates and unaware of his strength so opening that can of worms could be dangerous. But I digress...there is no pushing and no harmless name-calling. These boys found a weakness and are targeting it. I had no idea that 4 and 5 year olds could be so diabolical. My fear is that this will set a pattern for Jack. I don't want him to be a bully, God forbid, but I certainly don't want him to go through life bending over and taking it either. This feels like a big one, like Tom and I need to set him on the right path to handling adversity and I really don't know what to do or say to help Jack nip this in the bud. For now, I'm going to wait and see what happens. Maybe those goddamn brats will find a new target. Maybe Jack will pound their heads into the playground mulch. Maybe he'll join in and the three of them will go on the road as The Traveling Preschool Fire Alarm Band. Maybe not. I'll just have to wait (and worry) while it all plays out.
5 comments:
how awful. bullies in preschool. its sad really. poor Jack, I can imagine what you wanted to do to those little
brats!
Kids can be so mean, even at a young age. I feel for Jack and I hope they stop picking on him. Shame on them, I'd want to beat them up too!!! ((((HUGS))))
I really liked the sissy name thing.....those little shits!
Honestly, I'd take comfort in him telling you what's going on and not bottling it up inside.
Oh I feel so bad for him. We had a similar situation at school, although it was physical and it just broke my heart.
I would keep him talking to you about what's going on and if it continues to happen, definitely talk to a teacher about it. With out situation, I let it go but when I saw in the course of a day this same little girl attack 3 other children, I finally had to say something.
I'm so sorry :( Bless his little heart. Like Shontel said, kids can be so terribly mean. I would just tell him to walk away and that since they are wanting him to get upset, the best way to get back at them is by not getting upset. Tell him that he's so cool they are jealous of him, and by maybe building up his self esteem a bit he'll be able to blow them off. It's so hard...I'm with you. I'd want to beat them down lmao.
Post a Comment