Monday, October 27, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame...Oh Please Oh Please Oh Please...


  Diehards and bandwagoners alike are burning up with The Phever.    Phils are up 3-1 in the World Series.  They are en fuego.  Ryan Howard...if I wasn't already pregnant, I think I would have gotten knocked up just watching him blow that ball out of the park last night.  Cole Hamels, super stud, is pitching tonight.  I'm deeply superstitious so I'm not going to say what could happen tonight but, yeah, this is Big Time for Philadelphia.  There is a chance I could be there tonight, watching it all unfold.  IF Tom's friend can't get a babysitter.  And the bigger "if" is that I can go IF I can get a babysitter.

There are many crappy things about living in the desolation that is Dorkaware including but not limited to restaurants closing at 9:00, no drive-thru ATMs or pharmacies and the persisting feeling that I'm a stranger in a strange land.  Probably the most inconvenient thing about living here is that I'm far from my family, our sole source of babysitting.  Sure, it's only an hour to Mom which is no big deal on the weekend but if I need her to watch the kids at the last minute for something major  like, I don't know, GAME 5 OF THE WORLD SERIES, I'm SOL.  If we were home, I'd have several options and I wouldn't hesitate to call any of them.  Wouldn't need to though, b/c Mom would run over to us in a heartbeat.  Here, we're screwed.  Actually, I'm screwed b/c of course Tom will go anyway.  No reason we both should miss it; that's just crazy.  He called his sister, our best babysitting option of late, but she has plans.  I left a message with my cousin but I'm not hopeful on that front.  I'm so desperate that I'm thinking about asking my Mom if I could drop the kids at her house although that's not a great option.  They don't like sleeping there lately and it's not fair to stick her with 2 potentially crying kids.  God forgive me, TV in bed and a wee dose of Robatussin might do the trick but that is too extreme even in my current state of frenzy.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how hard it can be to be someone's parent from the perspective of watching a child suffer and knowing that letting him or her struggle through a difficulty is sometimes the best way to learn and grow.  That is so hard for me to do.  You know what else is hard though?  Passing up something fun or amazing because the buck stops here.  They are my kids and I knew going into motherhood that they are my responsibility and nobody else's.  I'm not one of those Moms who dumps their kids on someone else at the drop of the hat although today I can see how it might be tempting to have your cake (children) and eat it too (par-tay!!!)  It's just not right though.  That's why I'm bummed that I most likely will be watching the game from the couch but I'm not distraught.  As nice as it would be to see...whatever is going to happen (that's not a jinx, right???), it is even nicer to know that my two angels are happy and secure in my love for them.  Their childhood is flying by so I don't begrudge the things I have to give up for now.  Maybe the Phils will be in the World Series again when Sheemee is in college.  If so, I'll be at every stinking game, bet your ass on it.  GOOOOOOO, PHILS!!!

1 comment:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

Woman, you will call your friends down the street next time you are in a babysitting crunch, do you hear me?!

I mentioned this to Chris yesterday, before I knew that you were officially going, and he was like "Hell, yes, the Bachmans are sitting at the Tobins' house tonight so they can go to that game because this shit doesn't happen every day and we will not allow them to miss it!" Which means that if we had arrived home from work, we were basically going to kidnap your children and push you out the door. That could have gotten ugly. So seriously...next time, call!