Now I'm just dreading her response and worrying that she'll show up at my house or something. I HATE CONFRONTATION!!! I just felt like I should say something so I could let it go. Stewing in silence is an unhealthy habit of mine, one I'm trying to break. Next I have to decide if book club is still worth it. Members have been dropping like flies and I suspect it's in large part due to the Dingbat twins as well as the morose monthly book selections. It's nice to socialize with some of my neighbors but the negatives of the others are starting to outweigh the former. Women that condone and enable a drunk driving, child neglecting alcoholic like they discussed last week are not people that I want in my world.
Here is what I said to the knitting nazi:
Hi, Marilyn. I wanted to let you know that I'm all set with knitting right now and I will not be coming to class anymore. It's hard for me to get out of the house at the kids' bedtime and to be honest, it hasn't felt worth the effort the last couple of sessions. Those two hours are supposed to be my relaxation time but with the rant against women who can't/won't breastfeed and the jibes about stay-at-home moms last week, I've been feeling defensive rather than relaxed. You are very passionate about your opinions which is great and so am I, just not so vocally. At the end of the day, I'm tired and I don't want to debate the right or wrong of what I've chosen but I also don't want to sit in silence while my lifestyle is called into question. The wonderful thing about our modern times is that women have the opportunity to make choices regarding what is best for themselves and their families. I made my choice and I have no regrets about it. I respect others' right to choose differently than me and it bothers me not to get that respect in return.
Thanks so much for getting me started on the blanket I am making. I can't wait to wrap my baby in it when he/she arrives this winter.
Regards,
Christy
3 comments:
That was way more tactful than I could have been. That's all you can do, and I don't blame you for not going. It's like paying to walk in front of a firing squad. Who needs that?
That was very well said Christy & I can't say I blame you for not going back. Good luck w/ the book club decision.
Awesome, girl. A very classy way to tell this woman your feelings. It sounds like it definitely needed to be said!
(Um, don't you dare drop book club, do you hear me? At least not before I host this month! I know where you live and I won't hesitate to drag you kicking and screaming down the street.)
Post a Comment