Monday, October 27, 2008

Update: I'm going!!!

When my Mom heard I wasn't going, she basically told me I'm a fucking idiot (although in a much nicer way) and said she'd drive home after work to get her stuff and then come down to watch the kids.  That is way too much to ask of anyone so I said no way.  Instead, I'm going to take the kids there and hope for the best.  I'm taking them up to her house early b/c they love her yard.  I'll run them back and forth until they are ready to drop from exhaustion.  Then we'll fill their bellies with some warm, comforting carby pasta, tuck them in wearing their comfy flannels and let them watch Scooby-Doo in bed, a treat reserved for bedtime on vacation only.  I hope it works!  I don't want her to have to deal with any whining, pouting or tantrums.  She gets enough of that from the executives at work.

I'm going tonight.  I'm.  Going.  TONIGHT.  You know what it makes me want to do?  Call my Dad.  When I think Phillies, I think Dad sitting in the garage with a can of Piels, watching the game on a warm summer night.  I think of my brother spending all of his Lurae tips on Phillies gear at Kona in Wildwood.  I think of my Pop mesmerized by the game, keeping track of all the stats in a notebook, not hearing me b/c he was so absorbed in the game instead of his failing hearing for once.  My own personal Holy Trinity are a big part of why I love the Phillies and why I'm so excited to go to the game which is totally gay and would make some diehards who are not going want to cry or kill me.  When I'm there tonight, I'll be representing My Boys who will be with me in spirit, Jon rocking a Phillies jersey (would he take off his beloved Detroit Tigers hat named Betsy for the monumental occasion?), Dad rolling his eyes over the cost of the beer and Pop as excited as a child to see his Phils going all the way.  So, yeah, I won't be able to high five them but I will be able to cheer with the other Great Guy in my life, the one who can't can't take their place but is so right for me that it feels like they handpicked him to share my life now that they can't.  I'm so, so, so happy that Tom and I will be there together, two kids from Philly cheering our hearts out for the hometown team.  Gooooooooooooo, PHILLIES!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for you!!! I hope the kids are good and you two have a wonderful time!!!!!

Stacey Cannon said...

I am soooo thrilled for you!!! What an awesome time you guys will have; take lots of pics and scream your heart out!!!

Melissa said...

Yeah, hope you had fun. I was watching it on tv, feeling sorry for those poor souls in Philly, cold and wet at the game.

I am curious if you will be back tonight for the rest of the story. Should be an exciting finish. If I lived in Dorkaware, I would definitely watch the kids for you.

Bethann said...

Dag girl!! You have me all bawling here.. Have an awesome time !!!