Monday, October 20, 2008

School Daze

I hate to say it or even type it for fear of jinxing anything but school is going well.  Better than well -- I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we've turned a corner and it's AWESOME.  Jack has gotten past his bowel-clenching dread of another fire drill, praise Jesus and all the Saints, and Madam goes to class of her own free will.  Is it that she wears a new outfit every day?  Perhaps.  The promise of afterschool adventures for girls who don't cry at drop-off?  Probably not since she's smart enough to know we are always out and about regardless of her school tears.  Whatever it is, I'm grateful for it.  She willingly eats breakfast, tinkles and brushes her teeth, gets dressed (in an outfit of her choosing, of course), walks to the car, lets me buckle her in and then walks from the car to her classroom.  All of it is done without any sort of screeching, begging or clawing.  Today I was even ballsy enough to pause and read the activity board to her before a quick kiss and hasty exit by me.  As I ran off, I heard her teachers oohing and aahing over her new barrette (bless you, Maureen!!!) which The Girl was eating up, I'm sure.  She loves nothing more than to be worshipped.  Then again, don't we all?

It's glorious.  There really are no words to describe what a relief it is to leave them both in good hands, knowing they are happy to be there and learning the skills they will need for "real" school.  I'm thrilled.  So why now that I don't have the awful dread of wondering if she is okay do I miss her so much?  I'm getting a taste of what it will be like when they are in school all day with lives of their own and it's a little scary.

Silly me, Sheemee will be here in a blink so I should enjoy the silence while it lasts.  Off to vacuum the living room without my entourage screaming in the background!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's doing so well and I hope she keeps it up!! I'm glad Jack has gotten over his fire drill fears too! Enjoy your peace before "Bonnie" gets here! :)

Maria said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

I'm so glad she is liking school!