Thursday, November 6, 2008

Disgusting

Two things are disgusting me right now.  One has been bothering me for over a week now.  The other is happening on the TV in front of me.

The first I saw in a store circular advertising toys for Christmas.  Granted, they have been around for years but this was the first time I really noticed Cabbage Patch Preemie dolls.  A preemie doll.  What.  The.  FUCK?  Preemies aren't joyful or fun to play with.  They are tiny and scary and serious.  Heartstoppingly serious.  Who thought that a preemie would make a good toy?  Does it come with its own tiny apnea monitor and incubator?

Second thing making me sick right now is Grey's Anatomy.  The interns and residents are salivating over a room full of corpses.  They are fighting over them like wild dogs with a fresh kill.  I know it's just a show.  I also know that real doctors have to distance themselves from the humanity of it all but my God, those dead bodies were people.  They were someone's baby.  Once upon a time, somebody somewhere loved them.  The physical form left behind might be a mere shell of the spirit it once held but that doesn't mean respect shouldn't be shown.  Whether the body is there b/c the person chose before his/her death to donate themselves to science or because they were unloved or unclaimed, respect is deserved.  I hate this damn show.  Most weeks, I end up so mad.  Why do I watch it?

No comments: