Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mommyrella

The kids really have become rather self-sufficient and are such good friends that they can entertain each other well.  Regardless, a huge amount of my time and energy each day is still dedicated to keeping them happy, fed, entertained and educated which leaves little in terms of time for me to keep up with the housework or have a moment to myself during daylight hours.

When I do get them settled on their own with a game or a movie, the race is on to accomplish my chores with some personal time to spare.  Nobody says I can't sit down and read a magazine but my guilty conscience wouldn't let me relax if I tried.  It's like Cinderella going to the ball -- the stepmother says that she can go, absolutely she can, but first she has to accomplish a Herculean list of duties.  The fates conspire against her and she can't go until her fairy godmother comes to the rescue.  My fairy godmother has yet to appear with magic toilet cleaning wand in hand so I frantically vacuum, load the dishwasher with the dishes from the last meal, prep the next meal, switch the wash to the dryer and hope for a few minutes left over to eat more than a fun sized milky way and, if I'm lucky, a solo trip to the bathroom before I hear the Scooby-Doo theme playing over the closing credits of the 23 minute episode.  As you can see by the number of words above, I won the race this time and I'm feeling pretty good about the state of my house.  No doubt that will change as soon as my twin tornadoes are off the couch and swirling through the house, leaving in their wake a large path of destruction.  That's okay, though, I love them enough to deal with crumbs on the carpet, jigsaw puzzle pieces scattered to the four corners of the earth and shouted pleas for immediate assistance through the locked bathroom door.  This is my life, this is my vocation and I love every minute of it.  Feel free to remind me of that the next time I'm threatening to sell them to gypsies.

No comments: