Thursday, November 20, 2008

Getting my brag on

Tom and I went to the fall conference meeting with Jack's teacher today.  I was a little nervous to hear what she had to say after some of the stories he shares about the kids in his class as well as because of the fire drill trauma from earlier this semester.  My fears were groundless.  Mrs. D raved about our boy, calling him "absolutely brilliant" as well as "destined for great things."  She explained this convoluted matching exercise that each kid did alone with her (and which I confess I didn't understand!) and she said he was the only one who was able to do it properly.  Nobody else even came close!  She said she wouldn't be surprised to see him end up "working with computers or as a physicist" because he is "amazingly logical with an impressive vocabulary" and she "sees full scholarships in his future".  From her lips to God's ear on the last one!

You know I was eating this up like a baby having cake for the first time.  When I asked her about his interactions with the other kids, she said he gets along with everyone.  He dances with the girls, has a building club (of which he is foreman/chief engineer, natch) with the boys.  She said that he still gets upset from time to time if things don't go his way but they are working with him on patience, something we're also tackling at home.  Mrs. D said that as long as he knows what they are going to do and the reason for it, he'll go along with the plan.  I'm sure it's annoying to have to explain everything to him before it gets done (What am I saying?  I KNOW it's annoying at times b/c that is what I have to do with him!) but she seemed to understand his need to understand and she also seemed to respect that he doesn't blindly follow without a clear reason for it.  He likes to know how things work and the part he plays in any given situation.  She "gets" him and that is tremendously important in their relationship as well as a huge relief for Tom and me.

Madam's conference is tomorrow morning.  Her teachers have both said that she's doing very well and the main teacher told me last week that Natalie says something that cracks her up every day so I'm not expecting any issues.  It is such a relief that both of my sweethearts are thriving in school.  I hope they always enjoy learning and get along with their classmates like they are now.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

What a glowing report!

Melissa said...

That is awesome! I know that as a parent, it must feel great to hear how wonderful your kids are. Cause we already know, ya know?

Maria said...

Fabulous conference! Sounds like both kiddos are really loving school!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful!! GO Jack & kudos to mom & dad!!