Thursday, September 18, 2008

Operation: Roommates

Just yesterday I was telling a friend about how I'm going to start introducing the idea of Natalie moving in with Jack's room.  Slowly, carefully, so as not to alarm her or make her resent the baby.  I figured I'd do it once she was totally comfortable with school.  That might not be until 2012, though, when Sheemee will be starting preschool!  If I'm honest with myself, I've never done anything slowly or methodically in my life.  Anyone who knows me well, knows this is true.  I dither, worry, whirl like an indecisive tornado and then Wham!  My decision is made and I plow ahead without further ado.  Even when there should be some ado.

So, I decided to set the wheels in motion to move Madam into the "big kid room."  (Which will be later today if all goes according to plan.)  I know that she doesn't want to give up her room and so does anyone who remembers the last time I tried to move her into Jack's room.  Of course, the stakes were a lot lower back in May when I was simply trying to steal her room and make it into my office/photo studio.  Now I need her out of there and this time, there are no take-backsies.  This is no secret; we've talked abstractly about how she will be moving in the fuzzy future but I try not to say why and I haven't been brave enough to say when.  Other people have even brought it up to her and she doesn't get mad per se.  She simply announces to anyone and everyone foolish enough to assume that she'll be displaced that the baby will sleep with Jack b/c as she so quaintly puts it, "I want my room in MY room.  Not Jack's."

So what's a frazzled Mommy to do? Appeal to the girl's love of stuff.  She inherited my materialistic shopaholic tendencies, woe to her future husband, and I have no problem with appealing to her base instincts for more, more, MORE just this once.  Plenty of time to teach her about frugality and the importance of reducing one's carbon footprint once she is calmly ensconced in her new quarters.

Off to Target we went this morning after dropping The Boy at school.  Little Miss is all about Disney Princesses these days and, joy of joys, there was DP crap on clearance.  She is now the proud owner of a throw rug, comforter, sheet set and wall stickers to decorate her new space.  We were barely in the front door of the house when she was practically ripping open the packaging with her teeth.  Nope, sorry, not until you are out of the little room and into the big kid room.  She dragged the bags upstairs and begged me to put the bedspread on her bed.  Silly girl, didn't we talk about how this isn't for your boring old room?  She's practically foaming at the mouth to get her bed into Jack's room.  I'm surprised that she hasn't tried moving it herself.

Do I expect this to be a magical fix and that she will move in with nary a tear?  Of course not.  She is my child and I know her mercurial moods better than anyone.  I know that she will cry, protest that she is still little as she often does when she doesn't want to accept change ("I'm still little!  See, look at my little hands!") and want to move back.  I also know that she won't want to give up her DP crap AND she knows I won't budge on the "only in the big kid room" rule b/c once a rule has been discussed, I never budge.  So, she has her new stuff.  I even let her pick where she wants her bed (where Jack's is now, of course, but that is okay.  Why should she alone have to swallow all of the changes?)  The move might not happen tonight if I can't get Tommy Boy to move the furniture (it's KILLING me not to handle it myself!) but it is imminent.   Please say a little prayer for all of us.  We'll need all the help we can get.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope & pray that Natalie takes her new move in stride....a very positive stride that is! :)

Jamie said...

I'm laughing that we were just talking about this yesterday and how you were going to take it slowly, lol. I hope the move goes smoothly and that she's happy in her new digs. How will Jack feel about having half the room done in DP?

You've also made me realize I need to do a trip to Target now, instead of putting it off because I need to get a DP rug and stickers for Lexi's room. And if it's on clearance now...

Christy said...

Thanks, Shontel!

Ironic, isn't it, Jamie? My mind kicked into overdrive after telling you I was going to ease into it. What if I waited too long and she blamed the baby for her move? What if I have another preemie? So, of course I didn't wait for Tom to get home and she's all moved in. Jack will love it -- the princesses bore him but pink is his favorite color this month. Only problem is that now he wants a new bedspread, too. This is turning out to be more of an expense than I anticipated!

Maria said...

I hope she loves her new space with Jack! :)
And, a sale on Princess stuff at target....hmmm!

Melissa said...

I love it!! Glad the move went okay. Did she actually sleep there last night??

Jamie said...

I'm glad the move went smoothly. Jack wasn't upset by his bed being moved? Let him get a new bedspread too! Did they both sleep ok last night? Email me pics of the finished room.

Christy said...

Night 2 and they both went to bed with little fanfare. Nat stood in the doorway of her old room after brushing her teeth and said, "Is this my room? It's not a baby's room." but that was all. They are sleeping like angels and I hope that will continue.

Jamie, he didn't mind moving his bed at all. He said, "Great! Now I can see the hall light better!" Maybe it's a boy thing, maybe he just inherited his father's easy-going nature, I don't know why he accepts this kind of change easily but I'm grateful for it.