There are probably very few of us who remember that today is his birthday at this point. Life is long and memory is short when it comes to the dead. I remember, though, and that is how I keep him with me. Preserving his memory is my vocation, second only to being a mother. I do it for myself because I need him in my life still even after all this time and after all I have done without him to cheer me on. So you might say that today is a holy day of obligation in my own personal religion of ancestor worship. Today is dedicated to all of the good times we had together. I listen to the music we loved, remember the good times we had and if I wasn't pregnant, I'd gag down a shot of Southern Comfort in his honor remembering how he could drink me under the table even after I was a lush of a college student and he was still in high school.
He had so much life in him, so much more than I ever did. On paper, he was pretty average -- middle of the pack grades, cute but not strikingly handsome, no special talent -- but he drew people to him in a way that was inexplicable. There was just something about him that made people want to be his friend. Maybe it was his sense of humor or the warmth in his smile that had just a trace of devilry in it. Sure, he could be a jerk like any of us can and sometimes his humor turned sharp to match his Irish temper but for the most part, he was a happy, caring, inclusive person which ended up being his undoing but I won't go there. Not today.
He taught me many life lessons although I didn't realize it at the time. I often fail to live by his code because I am basically the opposite of the extroverted happy optimist that he was but I try to put his credos into action when I can -- Take it light. Laugh all the time because serious sucks and will make you old. Sing loudly in the car and take the long way when you can. Don't stress about what people think or who is watching. Believe in your own awesomeness. Show people that you love them; don't just tell them. Don't worry about a rainy day; enjoy yourself now while it's sunny (easier for a kid living with his parents than for an adult who is now the parent.) Celebrate anything and everything -- parties are fun and worrying is boring. Remember where you came from and who your real friends are. Loyalty is the highest honor you can give.
Happy birthday, Brother. I miss you always and I promise that I will raise my kids to be like me in school and like you after school, okay?
*paraphrased from my favorite Big Head Todd and the Monsters song



10 comments:
Happy birthday, Jon. I wish I could have met you in person because I surely would have liked you. Your sister does a beautiful job of describing your amazing spirit.
((HUGS)) You are keeping him alive by your beautiful words and precious memories. It is so hard to miss those and long for those who have left before us. I pray that you have peace today...You blessed him in life by being such a good sister, and you are blessing him now.
Christy- Jon was precious. I can see Jack in his smile. Thank you for sharing him with us. Happy Birthday Jon.
Christy...thanks for sharing your beautiful tribute to your brother...I remember him quite well and my heart truly breaks for you and your family at the thought of him not being here with you. Your words, though, are so eloquently phrased and it's so obvious how he continues to live in you and around you...in a variety of ways. I imagine that he cherished having a wonderful, thoughtful sister such as you.
Your sentiments made me cry at work...but I happily shed a tear in honor of Jon's birthday.
Peace, love and light...Jill
Awwww, you guys! Thank you so much. I am so lucky to have such great friends.
I'd like to think that those who have gone on to the other side have no regrets but if they do, Jon is pissed that he missed the chance to mack on all my MILF friends. ;-p
How very important it is you keep his memory alive. I loved looking at all the pictures. I too see a bit of him in Jack, the ears and hair in Jon's early years.
Hugs to your family Christy.
Hi Christy,
What an amazingly eloquant and beautiful tribute to Jon. Your children may not know him personally, but sharing as you do, I'm sure they feel him every day in their lives. Thanks for sharing this post.
Erin
Aww, I'm sorry I'm late to the party, but happy birthday, Jon.
Christy, that was truly beautiful, and as others have mentioned, I can definitely see a bit of Jon in Jack.
Happy Birthday Jon. He is very handsome and what an amazing sister you are for keeping him alive! Jack looks like him. :)
Christy I love love love your words...you always make me FEEL with what you say as if I were standing right there with you.
You make me feel like I knew your brother...and you sharing reminded me that I need to "just quit it already and get out there and live!"
Post a Comment