I downloaded Darius Rucker's new album today b/c I'm a Hootie and the Blowfish fan from way back when my jeans were high-waisted by fashion dictate rather than necessity. Hootie actually played in the University of Scranton's gym when I was in college and they were awesome. That's not just the beer talking; they really rocked and blew Toad the Wet Sprocket, the headliner, right off the stage. Cracked Rear View stands the test of time; I still listen to it regularly long after many other '90's favorites have faded from my memory.
I read that DR had crossed over to the Nashville scene which made me think, "BLECH" since following in the footsteps of Jessica Simpson in any way seems like a bad idea. After the wacky Burger King commercial, though, I guess the poor guy didn't have a lot of options left so he headed to Nashville. He's Southern so it's not that much of a stretch. At any rate, I decided to give his new effort a chance since I've always loved his voice and the album was only $7.99 on iTunes. Surprisingly, I really like the music even with it's country undertones. DR's voice is mellow and relaxing (exactly what I need with a bad cold and two crabby kids) and the back-up band isn't too twangy, perhaps proving that country really isn't that country these days.
1 comment:
Yeah, it definitely seems that country is more rock than ever before...if that makes any kind of sense. But I'll have you know I'm now singing that Osmonds song!!! I'll be singing all night long!!!
ps - I hope you get to feeling better soon!!!
Post a Comment