I will be oh-so-relieved when the election is over and calm settles over us again. I just hope the results won't make ME want to move to Canada.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
War of the Roses
The presidential election is shaping up to be the most divisive that I can recall in my lifetime. Although I remember friends loudly lamenting Clinton's election when I was a college sophomore (A staunch Republican friend didn't appreciate me helpfully offering to pack her bag when she threatened to move to Canada, lol), this election seems different. Worse. More personal in its differences. Friends are squaring off against each other, sniping and holding grudges. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps because the state of the nation has been so shitty that the stakes feel so much higher this time around? I don't know but I don't like it. I have my opinions, everyone does, and I'm feeling more and more defensive about them. It actually makes me stronger in my beliefs which is pretty juvenile since the issues should propel my ardor, not my need to defend myself and what I hold true. If nothing else, I'm gaining insight into epic battles like the Troubles in Ireland for it seems like the best way to strengthen a person's resolve in their beliefs is to tell them that they and what they value is wrong and watch the anger snowball.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment