Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dog Days in Delaware

It's 6:30 a.m.  My children are still peacefully asleep.  So why am I up?  Because one of my goddamn neighbors let their dogs out and the stupid thing has been barking with all his might for at least 15 minutes now.  It actually became part of my dream and then woke me up enough to realize that it was a real, waking nightmare.

I have always hated dogs.  They are loud.  They smell.  They shit where they want.  They jump and slobber and sometimes they bite.  As I found out 2 years ago when the dog across the street, proudly touted as "good with kids," tried to kill Natalie for no reason, there is no such thing as a "tame" or "friendly" dog no matter how much training has been given to the animal.  So, yeah, I've never wanted a dog and yet it feels like I have several because my neighbors "share" theirs with the rest of the neighborhood.  Actually, all they share is the noise and the feces left on my property but it's enough to convince me that while  a dog may be man's best friend, the fucker sure isn't mine.

Tom is away for his annual trip to Auburn with the work guys so I can't go for a stroll and find out where the noise is originating.  Lucky for those folks because if I knew who it was I'd be really tempted to walk by their house tomorrow morning with the kids, sit on their steps and let them hear the delightful sounds of how Madam shrieks when The Boy takes her taggie blanket away.  Maybe I could take the kids over there at potty time and let Jack make one of his legendary man-poops on their front lawn since anyone who is rude enough to make his animal the neighborhood alarm clock is definitely on the list of suspects who let their dogs shit on my front lawn and don't clean it up.  Can you imagine the outrage if I left my kids outside screaming or if they went around and dropped a deuce on random lawns in the area?  OMG, CPS would be called, the homeowner's association and God knows who else.  People would be up in arms.  So why is it okay for people to let their animals do that to me and my property?  Kid shit is somehow more offensive than animal shit?  Crying kids are more annoying that barking dogs?  Seriously???

The barking has finally ceased but too late for me.  I'm wide awake and PISSED OFF.  It's probably a good thing that I am so staunchly anti-gun because if I had one, I'd be way too tempted to use it at a time like this.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I HATE barking dogs. and I cant believe how inconsiderate people can be. maybe instead of a gun, get a sling-shot.....

Jillian DiMuzio said...

Can I just tell you that this is my primary complaint with my next door neighbors. For some reason, the only time the dog seems to be outside is at the crack of dawn and in the dead of night! And, to top it off, the dog barks incessantly!...and, it's a big dog, so it's loud and obnoxious...and everlasting!

I wish I had the nerve to go over and talk to them about it, but I resist the temptation because I don't want to make waves (our kids are in the same school; what if Austin gets locked out or there's an emergency?).

I can't imagine how inconsiderate (and ignorant) you have to be when you know for sure that your dog is a yapper and you let him outside (to bark at geese and sqirrels) literally at 6:00 am on the dot to wake up the entire neighborhood. It just sucks because at least in the summer, the barking was muffled by the closed windows and drone of the AC...but now that it's cooler and we have the windows open...it's completely unacceptable. It makes me want to do very angry and evil things...especially when I cherish every moment of my night's sleep...kind of like a fat kid cherishs cake!

I'm sorry to hear that you have a similar problem...but happy that I'm not alone in my complaint.

Christy said...

The damn dog is at it again. I'm about to go out of my mind. Do I have to shut the windows and turn on the AC to get some peace and quiet??? OMG, I'm hopping mad. Like "ready to get a babysitter so I can go find the dog" mad.