Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Day of Preschool 2: Natalie Returns

Sounds vaguely like a B-grade horror flick, doesn't it? I feel like I'm sitting in a dark theater, hearing the creepy music, watching the film's bimbo run upstairs to her demise rather than out the front door to rescue.  I've got that feeling in my stomach that happens right before the psycho jumps out and guts her.  It is the eve of Natalie's return to school and no film could be scarier than tomorrow promises to be.

Tomorrow, I will be the villain while my poor child screams for me like she has no hope of rescue.  That is why I have this leaden feeling in my gut.  No matter how much I talk up the fun she'll have, the projects she'll paint, the songs she'll sing, I know it will all be forgotten the moment I let go of her hand and start walking towards the door.  No matter how many times she nods her head, acknowledges that I will be waiting outside the door as soon as school is done and agrees that I always keep my promises, she will still shatter into a million broken pieces when I kiss her goodbye.  And I will smile, not cry, until I reach the safety of my car.  Then I will concentrate on not throwing up which is what I always feel like doing when my children are hurt or frightened.

She needs to go.  Her attachment to me only grows stronger and I am not going to home school her.  If she has a special place of her own that doesn't involve me in any way, the baby's arrival might be less of a trauma.  It will be good for her to make friends, have a good relationship with adults, learn new things and see that life away from me is not torture.  In my head, I know this is true.  So why do I feel like I'm doing something awful to her?

No comments: