Bedtime has been a challenge this week. Overtired, undertired, I don't know what the deal is but the dynamic duo have been fighting sleep like it's their job. By Friday, I didn't care what they were doing or which bed they ended up in as long as they stayed upstairs. All this togetherness gave me a brilliant idea -- move Natalie's bed into Jack's room! Jack has been wanting to move the train table out of his room (which saddens me as I spent way too much effort and money perfecting our own little island of Sodor) so I figured I'd do the old switcheroo with the train table and The Madam's bed. She loved the idea; both kids were on board even when they found out that the process involved cleaning up their toys and vacuuming where the furniture had been. Jack was thrilled to have someone there to battle nighttime monsters with him; Natalie was psyched to live in the room with our "library."
They each have two bureaus. Of course they do; I shop like I have two sets of triplets. Jack's chests are cheap stuff from Ikea; the drawer bottoms have buckled so that the drawers no longer close completely. This drives me C-R-A-Z-Y but seriously, what was I expecting from a $50 bureau? As the most recent baby, Natalie's sleeps in the former nursery with the "real" furniture our parents gave us at Jack's baby shower. I decided to move the crap furniture to the new toy room (b/c doesn't every child need two rooms purely for toys?) and the nice furniture to their shared quarters. Nothing like heavy lifting at 8:30 at night with only 5 hours sleep the previous night. What is it about exhaustion and Tom playing poker that inspires me to undertake major reorganizations? The biggest challenge of all would be figuring out how to organize their clothes into two bureaus when they were currently spread across four.
After removing drawers, mattress, box spring; dusting; vacuuming; hauling bureaus, drawers, mattress, box spring; more dusting; more vacuuming and fighting the drawers back into the bureaus; the room was complete. Time for jammies, tinkles and toothbrushing. The roommates skipped from the bathroom, climbed into bed and all was well...until The Girl started wailing. "I...WAAAAANT...MY...ROOOOOOOM!!!" *sigh* Didn't I suspect this would happen in the dark recesses of my mind? Isn't that why I left the Spiderman decals on the walls of her side of the room rather than removing them and migrating the Princess decals from her room?
The screaming continued to rise in volume and began in stereo when Jack chimed in with "But I need a ROOOOOMMATE! You broke my night light!!!" (I did. The sole casualty of the move which is actually impressive.) I told her to go sleep in my bed, figuring she was just overtired since it was now 2 hours past her bedtime. I moved her back to her "new" room once she was deeply asleep. Her eyes were barely open this morning before she started again, "This isn't my ROOOOM!!! I want my ROOOOOM!" Guess it's clear what I'll be doing today. At least Tommy Boy monied last night. $105 in my pocket goes a long way towards healing my aching back.
2 comments:
You brave, crazy woman! I assume she's happily back in her own room? We had a similar experience the day Lexi decided she wanted a big girl bed instead of her crib. Who ended up putting a crib back together at 11pm later that night? I swear she's going to take that thing to college with her.
I hope you can use Tom's winnings to buy your aching back a nice, strong drink! I hope they are all back sleeping happily.
Post a Comment