Sunday, May 18, 2008

Worst case scenario realized

After a really fun birthday party at a local karate studio, we trekked to Birdsboro for BIL's non-graduation party yesterday.  It was more like a wake minus the Jamison's, with 99% of the original guest list uninvited and the core players sitting around not talking about how stupid it is for a smart kid to fail SIX CLASSES and then compound the stupidity by neglecting to mention it to his proud parents until they show up at his doorstep the morning of graduation.  

As always, I packed the kids' jammies and we stayed until bedtime.  The best case scenario is that both kids will fall asleep in the car on the way back to Dorkaware and remain asleep while we carry them up to bed.  With the karate workout and running around they did in ILs yard, I thought we had a slam dunk on our hands.  I was wrong.  Wronger than white chocolate reese's peanut butter cups or George Clooney as Batman.  Oh.  So.  Wrong.  Both kids fell asleep in the car as expected but they woke up 10 minutes from home (perhaps the result of Leadfoot racing to each red light?), resulting in an hour-long power nap which left them energized for the night.  The very loooooong night.

Unlike the kids, I was not well-rested.  I was tired, starving and cranky as hell since IL's had a cook-out and I don't eat hot dogs, hamburgers or salads made with mayonnaise (a fact that has remained true since they met me eight years ago but they are having a rough time with the non-graduation so I'll give them a pass.)  Tommy Boy headed out to AC to win me some cash.  (He didn't, of course, and it was crazy to think he would since all signs pointed to our luck being in the toilet at that point.)  I tried to watch the almost-unbearable "P.S. I Love You".  Constant requests for food, drinks, snuggles, tissues and Inspector Gadget on my laptop were a welcome respite from watching the horse-faced Hillary Swank horrendously miscast as a romantic heroine who was small, blonde and spunky in the novel with which the movie shared its title if not any of its plot points. Around midnight, I gave up.  Loaded a movie into the laptop and the kiddos into my bed, climbed in with them and prayed for the sleep gods to bless us all.  The last time I looked at the clock, it was 1:16 and they were still partying like Paris Hilton at Bungalow 8.  When I opened my eyes again, it was almost 6:00 a.m. and they were wrapped around each other like sleeping puppies with the Inspector Gadget theme looping as their lullaby.  I carried them both to their own beds and expected that they would sleep until noon.  Wrong again.  They were up by 8:30 and are full of the manic energy only overtired children can generate.  Natalie just spilled my ice tea all over the table cloth.  Jack just announced that he is bored.  (Where did he learn that word???)  It's going to be a long day and I need to ensure that neither of them closes their eyes for longer than a blink so that the cycle doesn't start all over again tonight.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I hope they are in bed as we speak! And that they stay that way until morning. Call if you're going crazy, tom. and you can drop them off, and catch some shut eye.

Jenny B said...

Yikes. Where do they get their energy? I'm sorry Jack has discovered the "I'm bored" phase. I say phase, but it never seems to go away. Tyler has been saying it for at least four years now with no end in sight.