Sunday, April 13, 2008

Soccer


Jack had his first soccer game through our YMCA today.  He was PSYCHED but not nearly as much as Tom and I.  We were so worried that the game would be rained out that we half-considered sacrificing a goat to the sun god to ensure the game would happen.

Jack looked adorable in his uniform and had a blast.  He played goalie, ran around in the chaotic pack of kicking legs that is 4 year old's soccer and kept his eye on the ball.  He had the cutest grin on his face the whole time like it was the most fun he ever had.  All was awesome until he had a face-on-face collision with another child on his team.  My poor boy got a fat lip and bloody gums out of it.  His teeth seem okay, thank goodness, but I couldn't tell if he reinjured his nose.  He was a mess, scared by the blood and furious at me.  Everything is always Mom's fault, right?  

He has vowed never to return to the playing field.  Tom and I aren't going to let him quit b/c of this but we need to make it his idea to go back next Saturday or we'll all end up bleeding.  It sucks since he was having such fun.  Of all the kids for this to happen to...I'm not saying this b/c he's my kid but b/c of the type of kid he is.  Not exactly one to roll with the punches, literally in this case.  I just hope this doesn't create a soccer phobia and knowing my intractable boy, it likely will.

No comments: