Friday, April 18, 2008

I'll miss you, buddy

It's going up to 80 today.  I'm so not ready for that.  The warm weather has brought all the bugs with it.  There are wasps hanging around outside, particularly in front of my door.  I had to grab Nattie and run in the house to avoid letting any in with us when we came home from taking Jack to school.  The flying demons are whizzing back and forth like sentries, daring me to come back out.  

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared witless.  I've been obsessively terrified of bees since I was 4 and my neighbor's girlfriend told me that if a bee stung her, she would die.  Knock wood, I've never been stung but the irrational child within fears that it would kill me, too.  My mother still laughs about the time in early grade school when I used my vocabulary words to write a story about a little girl named Rosita who was chased by a swarm of killer bees.  I'm still not laughing.  In college a bee got into the study room where I was typing a term paper and I fled, leaving my word processor and due-in-a-few-hours-but-only-half-completed paper behind.  Evil wench that I am, I lured my boyfriend to the room with promises of sexual favors, forgetting to mention the giant bee, and then locked him in the room until he killed it for me.  (Sorry, Mark!)  So, yeah, I have a long history of bee hatred.  I know they kill mosquitoes and I appreciate that but I'd like them to stay away from me and mine.

I called a couple of exterminators to see if we could get this resolved.  One of them told me that it's too early in the season to spray and that he'll do it anyway but I'd be wasting my money.  So, basically, I won't be leaving the house until the bees are gone.  Jack will have to live with his preschool teacher for the next few weeks b/c the thought of going back outside to pick him up later turns my insides to jelly.  He has been wanting a new family for some time now so it looks like this is his lucky day.

1 comment:

Stacey Cannon said...

Too early to exterminate?! What?! Bee's scare me too, ever since I watched My Girl (I think that's the name of it) I've been terrified of them. I'd get a can of Bee Killer Spray and never leave home without it!!! ((HUGS))