Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Is it possible to be in love with someone's voice?

I am seriously digging Ray LaMontagne these days.  He has been my sleep soundtrack for months but I'm now introducing him into my daylight hours as well.  In person, I'd likely be repulsed (the mountain man beard makes me suspect that he doesn't bathe regularly) but his voice reminds me of the troubled, in-dire-need-of-a-good-girl's-love, irresistible boys who fulfilled my maternal cravings before I was actually a mother back in the days of my youth.  Funny how I married the polar opposite of that type of guy.  Does that mean I grew up?  Holy cow.

This actually isn't the first time I crushed hard on someone's voice.  I had it bad for an information systems contractor who was helping my team build a database when I worked for the electric company.  George sounded so old and wise and worldly.  I pictured him as tall, muscled and swarthy.  Turns out, he had Rick Astley syndrome.  When we finally met, I was shocked to shake hands with a man-boy who resembled a prepubescent Matt Damon.  He looked more likely to carry me off on a skateboard than on a white steed.  My crush dissipated until I returned to Philadelphia and his voice soothed me back into unspoken love with him.

Anyway, if you want some mellow tunes, check out Ray Lamontagne and try not to hold it against him that Grey's Anatomy featured his music.  A guy has to eat and sometimes that means selling his soul to the devil.

1 comment:

Jillian DiMuzio said...

Kyle and I LOVE Ray LaMontagne...he has a very beautiful voice. The track music in our cafe at work was playing one of his tunes yesterday...it was cool to hear his music outside of the house.

I'm stupid, though...I kept calling him Roy for the longest time!