Thursday, April 10, 2008

Knitwit

I've been taking a knitting class since early March. I love it and hate it. I love having a mindless hobby (that keeps me from snacking in front of the TV) but I hate that I'm not good at it. Being a novice kills me. I've never liked being new at something and that has held me back a lot in life. Now I'm old and I'm saying fuck it but old habits die hard. My teacher can't believe how quickly I've taken to it and says my rows are controlled and perfect but that isn't good enough for me b/c I know how I'm struggling. I keep reversing my stitches and then I have to rip them out and start over. I usually adapt well to doing things right-handed but I'm not with this skill. I start out fine but then when I get in a rhythm and stop watching what I'm doing, my hands automatically flip the work over, basically leftifying it. I am driving myself C-R-A-Z-Y. Aren't hobbies supposed to be fun? I am so like my Dad...taking something relaxing and attacking it with ridiculous intensity until all the fun has been smashed out of it, rendering it another chore on an endless to-do list. What a legacy.

No comments: