Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Power of Prayer

is powerless in my opinion and experience.  It's all luck.  Maybe totally random, perhaps predetermined, I have no idea.  I just know that praying for a specific outcome doesn't work.  Praying for strength, I see how one can argue that it is effective but I counter that it is actually the power of self-suggestion at work. Praying for strength plants the seed and helps the intercessor to find the strength he/she already has within that was heretofore unknown.  It has nothing to do with external factors and is basically the religious version of the little engine that could -- "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."  

Once upon a time, I totally bought the whole prayer thing hook, line and sinker.  Prayer is big in the Catholic Church as I assume it is in all religions.  I forget my catechism lessons but I know that there are specific kinds of prayer including intercession for when you need something and thanksgiving for when you get it.  Looking back, I wonder how I ever thought it could work.  It's like calling Domino's and ordering a large pan pizza with pepperoni b/c that's what you want although in the case of prayer, there is no 30 minute guarantee that you will get what you want in the time frame you desire it.  So yeah, I'm a cynic in general and anti-prayer specifically.  I never tell anyone that I will pray for them because I will not.  Not because I don't care but because I see no point in it.  When people tell me that they are praying for me, I sigh internally and wish I had the balls to say, "Don't waste the effort."  After all, I had spent the week before my brother's death at a novena every night, praying that he would find guidance, grow up and lead a safer life free of the new friends he had made.  I spelled it all out on a scrap of paper as the priest requested and that note was in the basket on the altar as my parents and I rushed to his bedside where he was pronounced brain dead.  A fat lot of good all that time on my knees did for him.  My faith died right along with him as did so many other things.

At any rate, I don't believe in prayer but I still hope for the best.  Right now, I'm hoping that my mother is okay.  A routine blood test showed that her liver numbers (???) were elevated.  A liver panel showed that she doesn't have hepatitis but her liver numbers (again, ???) are well above the normal range.  She goes for a liver ultrasound first thing tomorrow morning.  It could be that the Lipitor she takes is the culprit.  Or it could be something worse but I'm not going there right now.  When my mind starts "what if-ing", I shut that shit down because it does me no good to panic.  Mom is grimly stoic.  I am grimly supportive.  These are the roles we learned to slip into back when our world fell apart.  We trade off, depending on the situation and which of us is actively facing the crisis.  It may not be healthy but it's the best we can do.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I'll be thinking of your mom, Christy.

Jillian DiMuzio said...

Hi Christy...This post particularly struck a nerve with me because I could not agree with you more. I have had this argument with my BF, Kyle, before. Last year I was in a car accident and I ended up in the hospital for two weeks (in the ICU). Long story short, I can remember Kyle kneeling next to my bed imploring me to pray with him for these circumstances to turn around and me, as sick and drugged up as I was, refusing to do so! He was so pissed that he actually started a fight with me right there at my bedside becuase he couldn't believe that even in my darkest hour, my lack of "faith" was so unabashed, I wouldn't even pray for myself. As amoral as he seemed to think I was, I guess I just did't buy it. I don't know what changed in me because, like you, I remember the "ACTS" prayers from catechism. I often turned to prayer a lot growing up and into my early adulthood. Now I'm completely anti-religion (I do, however, send my son to CCD -- more for tradition and my lovely grandmother's peace of mind); I can think of numerous (dire) occasions when I felt I needed God in my life and he/she/it came up short.

All I know is that I'm not one bit interested in praying for myself or for others. I certainly wished that I would get better and I always try keep others with "special intentions" in my thoughts...I just don't actively ask "someone" for specific favors as I feel there is no real point in doing so. Keeping people in my thoughts works best for me because it feels genuine, like a promise...it's telling someone that you will give their "special intention" some special consideration right along with the day-to-day items that remain in the foremost of your thoughts. Even though there's nothing magical you can do to make their suffering/hurt go away, at least that person has some assurance that their intentions are just as important to you as your own and that their needs hold some priority status in your mind.

Reading your blog makes me want to start my own...sorry for the rant!

I hope all is well with your mom. When you mentioned "liver levels," I automatically thought hepatitis C (because that's what I work on and we hear that lingo every day). I'm relieved to hear that that's not the case. Hopefully, there is nothing to worry about...she (and you) will be in my thoughts!

Maria said...

I hope your mom's ultrasound comes back with good results!