Thursday, December 4, 2008

Maybe She Was Right

A few months ago, I was hotly indignant over my knitting teacher's allegation that SAHMs are dumb and lazy.  Lately, I'm starting to think she was onto something at least in my particular case.  Here is the evidence against me:

  • I just stood in front of the food process for several minutes, unsure of what it was, how it got on the counter or why I needed to use it.  Now I realize that the big mystery involved chopping nuts for banana bread.  Sadly, I don't think I have the energy to get out the mixer so the nuts may remain unchopped and the food processor will stare at me reproachfully from the kitchen island until I knock it over and it takes revenge on my toes.
  • I can no longer read more than one novel at a time.  I can barely manage one these days and I am someone who is ALWAYS in the middle of a book.  College, working full time during grad school, new baby...nothing kept me from my love of fiction.  Presently, I am struggling through Michael Crichton's "Next." My head is reeling from all of its characters, scientific theories and blend of fact and fiction.  It might as well be in a foreign language.  The only thing making me feel better about this is that I blew through a James Patterson novel over the weekend and found it as stupid and fluffy as 90% of the rest of his works so I'm not totally a lost cause.
  • I forget what I'm going to say even in conversations with myself.  Several disturbing statements in that sentence.  Sadly, I don't have the intellectual depth to examine them at the moment.
  • My rugs haven't been vacuumed in 3 days.  THREE.  DAYS.
  • There are crumbs on the counter and bottle rings on the fridge shelves.  I don't even care.  (Much.)
  • Natalie is better able to verbalize her thoughts, needs and plans than I am.  Jack, ever the helper, attempts to finish my sentences for me.
So, maybe Knitting Nazi was right and it took me five years to get dumb and lazy as the stereotype requires.  Maybe I'm staying up too late playing word games (which also leave me feeling brainless and weak) on Facebook.  Could be that mysterious disorder I've heard about called Placenta Brain common in pregnant women.  Whatever the case, I miss me and hope I get back to normal soon.  I am my own constant companion and living with a lazy idiot who has the IQ of a houseplant is not good times.

2 comments:

Jenny B said...

I'm sure it's the placenta brain. Positive.

Sharon said...

Ditto, JB. Without a doubt.