Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a Difference

"You sound GREAT.  Better than you have in months!"

A friend said this to me recently.  You know what?  She's right!  Although I look wrecked, I feel better than I have in a long time, longer than even my pregnancy.  A weight has been lifted from me, literally as well as figuratively.  Being pregnant was very taxing this time around.  Aside from the physical pain which was varied and abundant, I was carrying the scars of the miscarriage and the accompanying fear that it would happen again.  Even up until the night before my c-section, All gifts remained with their tags attached.  The few things I bought, I taped the receipts to the packaging just in case.  I truly didn't believe in my heart that Bonnie would be born healthy and alive.  I don't know why but I had a lump of dread in my throat from the day I took the pregnancy test until the nurses held up my beautiful, screaming, huge girl.

Now that she is here and I'm getting back to normal (quickly in some ways, at a snail's pace in others), I feel so happy.  I am pleased with my life and feeling blessed.  I worried that I'd be depressed about getting my tubes tied and while I'm sure that I'll always feel a twinge of regret when I see a newborn, I am confident that it was the right thing to do for my health and for our family.  Two unexpected benefits arose from the procedure -- I have a whole new perspective on how important it is to enjoy our family life to the fullest and I have a greater appreciation for my children in general and as individuals.  I thought it would make me cherish Bonnie, knowing she is my last baby, but I find myself really stopping to enjoy and give thanks for The Biggies as well.  Jack is the only son I will ever have.  He is my dreamer and I need to encourage that as well as teach him to temper his expectations when his imagination goes soaring to the clouds.  Natalie, born a middle child if ever there was one, continues to challenge my limited patience but I see her in a whole new light now.  I respect that she needs to be heard before going along with the program and I hope that she always stands up for herself like she does now.

So, yes, I do sound better than I have in months and that is because I feel better than I have in months.  I may not look like my old self yet but I feel like her and it's so wonderful.  I really missed me.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I'm glad you are feeling much more like yourself! How's Bonnie doing? I'm gonna need to see more pics of the kiddos.

Jenny B said...

That is a great story! I would like to hear a bit about your reaction when you realized she was 9lbs!

Enjoy your precious family! And we all get baby fever, but it goes away. Just think of three proms, three college funds, etc. etc. and you'll be fine!