Thursday, January 28, 2010

Registration Frustration

Okay, so remember how I hated the principal when we toured Jack's school and the idiot secretary lost Jack's registration forms last year, leaving me with a less-than-stellar opinion of our local school? Don't even get me started on the joke they called orientation.

Since that rough start, I've been feeling much better about school because Jack likes his teacher and is learning so much. Amazing what a happy kid can do to soothe a mother's worries, isn't it?

Well, school is back on my shit list -- BIG TIME -- compliments of the idiot secretary. But don't let me tell you about it; let the letter I'm sending to the principal explain:

Dear Mrs. N:

Earlier this afternoon, my daughter and I came to Carrcroft for the Kindergarten Open House which I learned about from the flyer sent home in my son’s school bag last week. Upon arrival, I waited in line while the parent in front of me was asking if it was possible to arrange to see more of the school than just a classroom. The woman behind the front desk all but rolled her eyes when she asked what else the woman ahead of me would want to see. She also asked if Carrcroft was the touring mother’s home school or if she was exploring options, implying that only people who weren’t “stuck” with Carrcroft would get the opportunity to see the building where their children would spend most of their waking hours. The mother didn’t back down (good for her!) and her name was reluctantly added to a waiting list for a tour.

At that point, it was our turn. We were “greeted” with a blank stare and a terse, “Why are you here?” When I offered that we were there for the Open House, I was reprimanded for bringing my daughter with me since apparently children aren’t welcome to see their future school. Please let me point out that I am not a naughty five year old and I do not appreciate being spoken to like I am one.

When I reminded her that the flyer advertising the Visitation made no mention of it being a parents-only event, your front desk representative informed me with barely concealed impatience that school was in session and “It’s disruptive enough for the kids to have adults in and out of the classroom, they can’t have kids there, too.” I’m well aware that school is in session. After all, my son is there. I’m not the one who invited myself to visit while school is in session. I’m also not the one who failed to mention that prospective students were prohibited from attending on the paper sent home to families.

I asked for a registration packet, gathered up my disappointed, weeping child and made my way out through a small crowd of parents coming in for the tour, many of whom also had their children with them. Honestly, I was a bit in shock at what had just happened.

Perhaps the woman at the front desk is having a bad day today and she was taking it out on me. It happens. Coincidentally enough, she must have been having the same kind of bad day right around this time last year for when I came in to register my son last February, I was greeted with the same air of impatience and made to feel like I was interrupting something far more important than helping a new family join the Carrcroft fold. She went on to lose half of my paperwork which I had to bring back months later when she got around to letting me know that it was missing. Fortunately I had photocopied the original packet of completed forms before placing into her hands.

I stewed about the rudeness and incompetence last year but ultimately let it go as I feared complaining could negatively impact my son's time at school. I could not and will not swallow it this year and that is why I am letting you know that being treated like an annoying child by a member of your staff is unacceptable. I don’t let my children be impatient and ungracious with others and I know you didn't with your own children based on the anecdotes you shared at the parent forum you held in the school library last summer. I certainly don’t expect to receive such treatment at the hands of someone representing your school. Perhaps I am the only parent who will contact you with this frustration but believe me, I am not the only one who is experiencing it. Mothers talk and I’ve heard enough to know that mine were not isolated incidences.

My son enjoys his time at Carrcroft. My husband and I are happy with his teacher and all of the wonderful things he has learned this year. It is unfortunate that the person who is basically the frontline of your school sullies what seems to be an otherwise caring, involved staff of professionals.

Sincerely yours,

Christy Tobin

Now I'm nervous about sending it. I don't want them making life at school unpleasant for Jack and Natalie because their mother stands up for herself. I mean, it's not like I'm leading a rebellion of migrant workers against Sunkist but still, the kids are out of my hands and in the school's for most of each day. I don't want them to suffer for me speaking up.

To send or not to send? Tom says go for it. I'm waiting for my mom's feedback. Because I can't make a sandwich without getting their opinions, lol.

Fucking public school in goddamn Dorkaware. You get what you pay for.

EDIT:
I thought about it and decided that I had to "Speak Up or Shut Up" about the whole drama so I emailed the letter directly to the principal. *gulp* My mother said it was politely bitchy. That pretty much sums me up right there.

Maybe nothing will happen. Maybe the principal doesn't give a crap. Maybe all I did was ensure that I get the stink eye whenever I sign in at school. Whatever. Be the change you want to see in the world and all that malarky, right? *sigh*

God help them if they take my honesty out on my babies.

6 comments:

Bethann said...

I think your letter was perfect and I hope they do something about the rude B at the front desk.

Melissa said...

Good for YOU!! Called about Catholic school yet??

(Kenzie is wearing that exact jumper today for Mass.)

Christy said...

Awww, I bet she looked adorable, Melissa.

I called the school and left a message with the admissions office. Admissions office? At a parochial grade school? This is a far cry from St. Helena's in the 80's, huh, Beth?

Nobody called me back yet. We'll see what happens.

Bethann said...

Most definitely. St Helena's was old school literally LOL...Good Luck..

I literally just got ALexa's baptismal certificate( 1.5 years later) after requesting it 3 times..

And I glanced at Aedan's and realized after 6 years that it is wrong.. WTF.. I DID not wait a year to have him baptized but that's what it says. gggrrr..

My love affair with the Catholic church is on the rocks.. and yet I have Phone numbers listed to call and register with the new one.. call it catholic family guilt..

Jillian DiMuzio said...

Good for you...you may actually garner the respect you deserve. Quick case in point: not to tarnish the glorious memories of our beloved St. Helena's, but I had an issue once with a homework assignment from Sr. Eileen Cooke in 6th grade...perhaps you remember, but if not, it was deeply traumatic considering I, too, am not one to pour on an assault on authority.

As it goes, being relatively studious and perfectionistic about my homework assignments, I turned in homework that was on loose leaf and I had one problem left that would not fit on the page. I didn't turn the paper over, instead (at my mother's coersion the evening before), I stapled a second sheet of paper with the remaining problem on it. Wrong move. Maybe it was a bad day, perhaps someone had run her foot over in the parking lot of the Church, but needless-to-say, when I turned it in, not only did she vehemently deem it "trash," but she then proceeded to rip it up and throw the remnants around the classroom like confetti! MORTIFIED!!!

Now, my mother, a sweet lady but one who can literally swallow someone alive dare they "F" with her kids, went berzerk!! The polite bitch that she was (minus the polite as she now had morphed into a lioness on the prowl), had NO trouble calling her out (and me out of school -- on a 3-day, self-imposed suspension) until an apology was rendered. No wonder I'm a drama queen. (I digress)

After the 3-day standoff (andee brought my hoework home every night,), we finally received a call from Sr. Helene Nagel asking that my mother and I please come to the convent that evening for a meeting "to clarify the misunderstanding!" ***GULP***

I believe I may have asked my mom to pack a spare pair of undies for me in the event that I soiled my drawers out of sheer terror! I actually never was involved in the confrontation I wsas just lead to some dark room adjacent to the action (Ummm...I sat in that dark room and read my Helen Keller book cover-to-cover, ironic, but not an exaggeration), whilst my mother imploded on the two penguins. She came down on them with the force of David on Goliath...all the while I was dying in the next room....I thought for SURE that I was dead when I got back to school.

Long (long) story short...my mother won...Sr. Eileen caved and admitted that her behavior was not only over-the-top (because I was a good student), but also completely humiliating and unprofessional. I was allowed to return to school the next day...my mother (back to being the polite bitch) prepared her that I would be re-doing the "trash" homework and be re-submitting it in its original form. Sr. Eileen was more than accommodating.

I got a very sincere apology that evening from both Sisters and Sr. Eileen was amazingly sugary sweet to me from that day on...even after I left 6th grade.

So the moral?? Stick up for you and your kids, especially if there is substantial reason for you to do so. There's no need for indignant associates in a childrens' elementary atmosphere. When I walk into my son's school, I expect nothing less than sunshines and rainbows from all the staff and I expect that when I leave him in their care, behavioral/academic issues will be handled with discretiona and professionalism.

I fully enjoyed your letter...sometimes polite bitchiness is a necessary evil. You were completely on point and rightfully so!!

Christy said...

Wow, Jill, I have NO recollection of that! I never liked Sister Eileen and your mom is my hero!!! She probably wouldn't have stood for the principal saying she'd call and then not calling while I'm a wimp who is relieved i didn't have to talk to her. Maybe your Mom would go to the office to register Natalie for me? Pretty please? :-)