Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Things That Make Me Go Hmmmm...

So, a century now, what current criminals and/or psychopaths will be softened into child-friendly figures for imaginary play purposes? Mobsters? Computer hackers? Eco terrorists?

Packing up Jack's Roman Colosseum (complete with lions to eat the Christians) and his pirate ship with sword-wielding brigands set me to pondering.

Seriously, how did murdering psychopaths like knights and raping thieves like Blackbeard get romanticized into fodder for preschooler's toys and books? It's kind of crazy when you get right down to it.

Even crazier is that I bought the stuff for him without really thinking about the history behind them. How did I draw the line at toys that are even remotely handgun-like but give the green light to swords and mammals used to slaughter innocents?

I must have been shopping at Hypocrites R Us that day.

1 comment:

Gween said...

eh...the crappy history they teach in schools today doesn't strike fear in the heart of younens.
I'd say you're okay with unchecking the hypocrite box for now.
:)