Friday, January 1, 2010

Oh Yeah, Happy New Year, I Guess

I just realized that my last post was the first of the new year and it was just an ordinary post. Well, extraordinary in topic for me but ordinary in that it was me talking about the kids as usual rather than focusing on The New Year or Resolutions or Other Crap That One Should Say on New Year's Day.

Honestly?

Whatever.

All week, people have been shooing away 2009, getting excited for 2010, making like their ship is going to come in or something. I'm shocked by the number of people on Facebook (my cyber home away from home) today who were raving about how 2010 is so much better than 2009, blah blah blah.

Hey, peeps, newsflash for ya:

2010 isn't even 24 hours old yet.

Give it time, it will suck, too. Or not.

Actually, it will do both given enough time because that's how time works. Stuff happens, like it or not.

Good stuff. Bad stuff. Happy stuff. Boring stuff. Really, really shitty stuff. It all happens in the course of a year. Hell, it happens in the course of a week, sometimes, let alone a year. The important thing is what you choose to focus on and what you will learn from it all.

That's life. Take it or leave it. Try not to leave it though. That would make the people who love you really, really sad. Then they'd start bitching about how 2010 sucked and they can't wait for 2011 and the cycle would continue, annoying the shit out of me once more.

So just like I don't go banging pots and pans at 12:01 on January 1st I also don't make resolutions for the new year. Why? It's arbitrary, the new year. How is today, Friday, any different from last Friday?

Right. It isn't.

That's like Tom. When he's going to start dieting eating healthy, he waits to start on a Monday. Like his efforts are doomed if he tries to avoid soda starting on a Thursday or something. Crazy, right? Well, resolutions are the same way. If you want to change something, really and truly want it, you will be successful whether you resolve to try on January 1st or June 11th or October 28th.

People are so weird.

But yeah, happy new year and all that malarkey. I wish you health and happiness not just for the next 365 days but for all of your days from here on out.

2 comments:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

I resolve to tell you more often in 2010 how much you rock. This post is so right-on.

Christy said...

Now that's a resolution I can get behind! ;-p