"I feel about as useless as a mom's college degree." Kenneth on "30 Rock."
This was pretty much what I was trying to explain to my Mom when she lamented me not finishing the MBA program at LaSalle back in 2001. I was engaged to be married and in the throes of wedding planning. I knew I wanted to have a family and stay home to raise it. With soul-killing finance courses looming on the horizon and total confidence that I would be out of the workforce in the next few years, what would have been the point of wasting time in boring classes to get a degree I wouldn't use?
My answer: No point. No point at all.
Her answer: Insurance. "Because you just never know what the future holds..."
*sigh* No kidding, Mom. But if I lived my life like that, I wouldn't have done one useful, productive or obligatory thing after I learned that lesson on 10/13/95. That wouldn't have made her happy either.
What would a young mother do with an MBA anyway? Jack was a very advanced baby, especially considering his prematurity, but a lively discussion of Inferential Statistics would have been over his head. He was much happier playing peek-a-boo and listening to me sing the ABCs off-key.
The diploma wouldn't have matched the nursery decor so it's not like I could have used it as a decoration.
She's my mother and she just wanted what she thought was best for me. She wanted more for me than she got to have. I get that. It's why I push manners, protein and 8:00 bedtime on my crew even though they think I'm mean, crazy or both.
Mom still regrets that I didn't finish the program. I still don't.
Let's hope I never have reason to change my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment