Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Children Will Be Socially Inept Dullards with No Attention Span Because I Make Sure They Get to School Safely

I still can't imagine letting a 9 year old ride the subway alone. I first heard about the woman who sent her son off months ago and it makes me shake my head.

Apparently, the big thing these days is for lazy "modern" parents to let their offspring go out into the world like mini adults. According to the latest article I've read on the subject, the trend is called "free-range parenting."

Which brings to mind chickens roaming the plains.

Just waiting for the wolves to attack.

Which is why henhouses were invented, right?

According to the article, the world is safer than it has ever been as far as crime rates go and those of us who don't feel comfortable kicking our kids out the door at sunrise to spend all day on the streets are victims of the media frenzy over child abductions which are "so unusual and so anomalous" according the mother who let her kid ride the subway.

Tell that to Shawn Hornbeck's mother.

Or Jaycee Duggard's stepfather.

Actually, don't. They would probably spit in your face and what rational person would listen to to that mom's opinion anyway?

The article goes on to blame working parents for putting kids under "constant adult surveillance." DAG, way to be all snarky about the folks that have to/want to work. Surveillance? That's what the FBI does to the mob. What working parents provide for their children is adult SUPERVISION in the form of daycare/aftercare. Why? Because they love their kids and want their families to protected when they can't be there themselves. How is that a bad thing?

Oh and just because the world allegedly safer doesn't mean it's SAFE. "Safer" is relative.

I lock my car just in case...why wouldn't I show the same concern about my children? "Free-Range" sounds like one more way people are pushing kids to grow up faster, something I'm actively avoiding with my little ones. *sigh* That's another topic entirely and one I'll avoid because I get way too judgy about it.

I'm too busy killing my son's self-esteem by walking him to and from the bus stop to talk about it anyway.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I read that original article in Reader's Digest and was horrified. Maybe crime rates are down, but I can bet to the parents that is has happened to, that's of little comfort.

And I walk Sam to the playground in the mornings, wait with her in line and make sure she gets into her classroom safely, so I'm right there with you.