Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

"No presents, bad food."

That is how the younger me summed up why I didn't like Thanksgiving as a child. I totally still feel that way. Now that I'm a grown-up, I know I'm supposed to count my blessings and put on a happy face with the dead bird staring me down. And I do, I totally do. I have so many that I could spend all day counting them.

This year, though, I feel very sad for some reason. Maybe sad is too strong of a word. Melancholy, perhaps. I don't know why. It feels like a sense of foreboding. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop even though I'm not sure the first one has dropped at this point. I know I'm not making sense. It's just an awful feeling I carry with me these days.

Anyway, enough of that. We're off to Tom's family's house soon where Jack and I will have our annual Thanksgiving Day pasta and the rest of the crew will gorge themselves on Turkey and all the crap that goes with it. The kids are so excited to see their favorite (and only, lol) cousin. It will be a very nice day.

Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope you have someone special in your life to be with today. I hope your travels are safe, your health is good, your job is secure and your worries are very few. I hope you have so many blessings to count that you are exhausted halfway through the list. And I hope you get to keep them for at least another year.


1 comment:

TallGirlsAdventures said...

I think the entire world is waiting for that other shoe to drop, buddy. I'm sorry about you feeling that way, nonetheless.

What I'm about to write won't help your melancholy, but perhaps it will make you feel better to know that you're sharing the feeling with many, many others: Just when I was reflecting back on the year 2009 and thinking it's among the worst in my personal life history, I read in this week's Time mag that the entire 2000-2009 decade might go down in history-history as the worst DECADE ever. The good news: It's almost over! :)