Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Being a Parent Means Knowing Exactly What "It Made My Blood Run Cold" Means

Caller ID is awesome. It protects me from all kinds of annoying calls. It also scares the crap out of me when I see one of my kids' schools calling.

As it turns out, the call was an automated message from our school district, telling parents that there was an attempted child abduction right across the border in PA this morning. My stomach dropped hearing it, imaging how frightened the child must have been and feeling thankful that the kidnapping wasn't successful.

Police in the surrounding areas are on the look-out for a man in all black. Parents are asked to be extra vigilant.

Yeah, never a problem for me.

The irony is that while walking back from the bus stop this morning, I was wondering when Jack will be old enough to walk himself to the bus and/or when he'll be annoyed with me for going with him, thereby ruining his street cred.

I was thinking maybe 3rd grade.

Silly, silly me.

Now I'm thinking...ooooh, hmmm, I don't know...junior year of college? He'll be old enough to drive AND have a beer when he gets home by then.

My thoughts go out to the child involved this morning. What a terrifying way to learn that the world is full of frightening people and experiences.

No comments: