Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Operation Night Wean: Take 1

Bonnie -- 2, Mommy -- 0

I couldn't do it. Tried to comfort her without a bottle and she wasn't having it so I caved. Twice. Two reasons for this:
  1. Bon had 4 shots yesterday. FOUR. That's a lot of vaccine rolling around in her little body, making her feel mild to moderately crappy as it builds up her immune system. Good for her? Absolutely, no question. Still, I know how I feel after a flu shot and I felt bad that she might be feeling dizzy, achy or even just tender where she got the shots.
  2. I'm a wuss. She's a baby. Physically large, yes, but she is still so small and new. Listening to one of my children cry and knowing I could easily take away their sorrow always makes me queasy. After a few minutes, it eats away at my soul. I tried rocking her, singing to her, giving her a binky but nothing eased her frustration (which was expressed by plaintive screaming and frantic clawing at my face.) From the particular tone of her cry it was obvious -- she was hungry. There was no question about what I was going to do.
Plenty of time for tough love another night.

No comments: