Tuesday, June 23, 2009

4 Months Old

Queen B is 4 months old today! She had a well-baby visit to check her progress. As suspected, The Bon is biiiiig and beautiful --15lbs 12oz (90th percentile) and 25 3/4 inches long (93rd percentile) with a 75th percentile head. Dr. G is very happy with her growth, alertness and strength. I laid her on the table and we marveled at her core muscle strength as she strained to sit up from a totally supine position. (Girlfriend is going to have abs of steel by her first birthday. Too bad it will be too chilly out for her to rock a bikini at her party.) The big news is that he gave her the all-clear to start cereal(yay!) and wants me to phase out the middle-of-the-night bottles ASAP (boo!)

I'll give the nighttime weaning a shot because I respect his advice but I'm going to be honest: if she doesn't calm down with some snuggling within 5 minutes, she's getting a bottle. You wouldn't expect a Suburban to make an all-night road trip on the amount of gas a Tercel would require so why expect a hefty gal like Miss Bon to stay as full through the night like a smaller baby might? I was giving Natalie a pre-dawn bottle until after her first birthday and Dr. G was aware of it so I'm not sure why he wants me to proceed differently with Bonnie. Natalie sleeps and eats just fine now so I'm not too concerned about continuing to provide her little sister with a midnight snack AMA. We'll see how it goes. If I've learned anything in my mothering career, it's that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and nothing is set in stone.

No comments: