Bon went to bed at 7:30 tonight after drinking a 6 oz. bottle. As I cleaned up the living room before tucking my weary self into bed around 10:45, I heard the sound I dread the most after sundown -- her hungry cry. By this point in our fledgling relationship, I can distinguish the difference in her cries and there is no mistaking the "Feed me NOW" call. It was coming over the monitor, loud and clear.
I whipped up another 6 oz. That bottle couldn't have emptied faster if I'd spilled it on the floor. I can't begrudge getting up with her -- she's legitimately hungry. This isn't a "let's hang out, Mommy" kind of wake-up. No indeed, she's all business when she sees that bottle. Wham, bam, burp me, ma'am and back to bed she goes. So even if I had the stomach for "crying it out", it would basically be child abuse because I'd be starving the poor little piggy. She's a big girl; her daytime nourishment is not enough to get her through the night. I feared this way back when they presented me with that gorgeous beast of a girl in the delivery room and sure enough, I was right. If only she could drive herself to Taco Bell for Fourth Meal. I'd gladly hand her the keys and my wallet.
My Gram insists that she needs to have some cereal and she needs to have it now. Talk of a greater propensity towards diabetes and obesity linked to solids introduced too early falls on deaf ears. Gram is old school and swears that Bon will slumber like the proverbial sleeping baby once she gets a spoon in her mouth. It's tempting but I trust my doctor and I'm not going to do anything that puts Bon's health at risk down the road. (Plus, history has already proven Gram to be a bold-faced liar -- Baptized babies do NOT sleep through the night even though she dangled that carrot to get me to baptize Natalie quicker than planned. Yep, I'm a sucker.)
Tonight was an earlier than usual late night snack for my little Bonster Monster. I shudder to think of when she'll wake to feed again. *sigh* Time to get back to my mantra: "The baby days will be over soon and then the real fun begins...The baby days will be over soon and then the real fun begins..."
Sweet dreams, all you peacefully sleeping bastards! ;-p
1 comment:
I think it's funny how the older generations had all these ideas.. like my mother.. give him cereal.. he'll sleep thru.. sorry but that did not work with Aedan he woke up every single night of his 1st year of life .. with the exception of Mother's day. LOL.. he also breastfeed exclusively(for fluids) for 13 months.. his choice.. NOT MINE. Good luck.. hopefully you'll find the happy place where she sleeps like an angel. ALL NIGHT LONG :)
Post a Comment