Thursday, June 4, 2009

Better Safe than Sorry

I'm a worrier.  Unlike most people, I don't think bad things won't happen to me.  In fact, they have and that has left me pretty sure they will again.  Wondering how and when could make me crazy if I let it so I try to focus on what I can control while hoping for the best.

As a parent, I'm hyper-vigilant.  When we go to the playground, for example, I choose ones with an open layout, dress the kids in bright clothes so I can pick them out of the pack quickly and you'll never catch me reading a book or talking on the phone while my loveys are out of reach.  When Jack gets the bus to kindergarten this fall, I'll be standing on the corner with him.  I view anyone over the age of 10 as a potential threat and I'm always on the lookout for predators.    I've gotten more than a few eye rolls and indulgent smiles because some people think I'm too paranoid, others think I'm flat-out crazy like the neighbor who couldn't understand why we had a security system installed in our home.  You know what?  I'm totally okay with that.  Go ahead and think I'm overreacting to the dangers in the world.  I'm comfortable with your judgement.  All that matters is knowing my kids will be safe and sound.  You may think I'm crazy for being so concerned; I think you are crazy for being so cavalier with the most precious thing in your life.

I'm feeling totally justified in my desire to keep my kids close as I just learned that a home up the street was raided by police yesterday.  Apparently, one of the occupants was arrested for child pornography trafficking.  The authorities took his computers and his digital cameras which makes me wonder whether the crimes were being committed within spitting distance of our playground.  There is another man living around the corner who is a convicted sex offender.  I don't know all of the details in either case but knowing that these creeps are living here on our quiet, "safe" block -- and these are just the ones who have been caught! -- is all I need to hear to know that I am right to keep the kids from being out on their own at such a tender age.  All it takes is one time, one predator and at best, my child's innocence is lost forever.  At worst...I can't even think about that.  Just one is all it takes and we have two, right here in the neighborhood.  It's not about coddling, it's about safety.  There is a reason the Girl Scouts no longer want their members selling door-to-door unchaperoned.  Even with a parent along, the kids aren't allowed inside the front door of prospective buyers' homes.  Although there is much good in it, the world is a dark, scary place.  All it takes is one.  The law of averages is not always on your side.

Get used to it, kiddos, Mommy is along for the ride and that isn't going to change any time soon.  You're happy having me as your sidekick and packmule; I'm happy knowing that I will keep you safe or die trying.

3 comments:

Sara said...

you'd be amazed how many little kids are alone at Kevin's bus stop. there have also been times where the mother is dropping them off, on her way to work! what happens if something happened to one of the kids?! how would she know?! she wouldnt, until much later when the school called to say the girl was absent. I'm pretty sure this mother feels comfortable leaving her daughters because my neighbor and I are there with our kids, but I just cant imagine it.

Jamie said...

Christy, I am the same exact way. And you know what - let others give me that "you're too protective" look. I will do anything in power to keep my children safe - they are a part of me.

Just the other day, in a neighboring city, a little girl (12 I think) was molested by a man who climbed in her bedroom window. And it was in my city 12 years ago that a little girl was kidnapped, raped & murdered when she was taken from her bedroom through a window. Scary times.

Sharon said...

*raising hand*

Helicopter Mom unabashedly reporting for duty.